Senior Data Architect
About The Opportunity
The Senior Data Architect will be part of an agile team accountable for designing, building, and maintaining the overall structure of Pie’s data warehouse and organization wide data architecture. They will work cross-functionally with members of both technical and business staff to understand data needs and requirements, design data architecture solutions, enforce data governance policies and ensure successful deployment. This role is critical for supporting strategic company-level objectives, while collaborating cross-functionally to ensure efficient, secure, and easy to access data for stakeholders.
As a Senior Data Architect with Pie, you will be a key member in defining the future state of our data architecture. This role will work in data architecture, designing data pipelines and data governance. Success in this position will be establishing how data comes into and flows through the Pie insurance platform. This data will be used to help us quote customers based on best policy and prices for their workers compensation insurance.
How You’ll Do It
- Design and implement data architecture solutions, including data modeling, data integration, and data management
- Design efficient data pipelines to transform raw data sources into powerful, reliable components ensuring data quality, efficient processing, and timely delivery of accurate and trusted data
- Design data models for optimal storage and retrieval to meet critical business requirements
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, and Engineering teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- Maintain high standards of engineering excellence through code reviews, unit tests, and robust alerting
- Mentor and guide analytics engineers, analysts and scientists to ensure we have optimal, documented and adequately tested dimensional data models
- Define and enforce data governance policies and advocate for best practices throughout the organization
- Develop and maintain data dictionaries and data lineage
The Right Stuff
- Minimum 5 years experience as a data architect, with at least 2 years in a senior or technical leadership role
- Demonstrable experience designing and implementing modern data warehouse/data lake solutions with an understanding of best practices and the ability to mentor others
- Previous work experience in a cloud-based environment and expertise in cloud-based data architecture
- Advanced proficiency in writing complex SQL statements and manipulating large structured and semi-structured data sets
- Extensive knowledge with industry standard ETL/ELT and data orchestration tools such as Airflow, Stitch, or Fivetran
- Experience modeling data in data warehouses such as Snowflake, Redshift, and or BigQuery with a track record of successful implementations
- Working knowledge of visualization tools such as Looker or Tableau
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to lead and direct an ephemeral team on technical initiatives
- Expert knowledge of data governance best practices and the ability to develop and implement policies across the organization
Base compensation for position: $150,000 - $205,000
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
Pie Insurance Announces $315 Million Series D Round of Funding
Something looks off?