Director of People Operations
Nestled in the beautiful Santa Cruz mountains, just south of Silicon Valley is where we started. Then stepped into unique and historic Guadalajara, the Mexican Silicon Valley; and Salt Lake City, with the dramatic backdrops of the mountains of Utah. With brand new offices in strategic South San Francisco & twin cities' leading tech hub Minneapolis, Paystand's momentum has been recognized with its third-year in a row inclusion on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing companies & the recent acquisition of Yaydoo.
Our mission is to unlock capital efficiency for enterprise businesses through our transformative “Payments as a Service” platform. Our smart billing and payment network uses revolutionary internet, blockchain, and FinTech services to digitize receivables, automate processing, reduce time-to-cash, lower transaction costs, and produce new revenue for our clients. Paystand is venture-backed, having been consistently recognized as one of the top innovators in FinTech, and fastest growing companies in the world.
Role at a Glance
Paystand's Director of People-USA directly aids with and facilitates the human resource processes at all business locations in the United States and provides indirect support to our Mexico and LATAM teams as needed. This position will make sure that all plans are administered in accordance with federal and multiple state regulations and that plan provisions are followed. This role provides administrative support to the human resource function as needed, including record-keeping, file maintenance, and HRIS entry. This role administers employee health and welfare plans and acts as a liaison between employees and insurance companies via our broker. This position resolves benefits-related problems and ensures the effective use of plans and positive employee relations.
This is an in-office position based (preferably) at our HQ in Scotts Valley, CA. However, this role can also be based out of South San Francisco, CA, and report to HQ as needed (estimated 2-4 times/month).
Role & Responsibilities
- Partner with, and advise leaders and managers on performance management & coaching, employee relations, and organizational development.
- Ensure that we are positioned to scale quickly and efficiently to meet the needs of the business.
- Work with legal counsel and external consultants to help ensure Paystand’s compliance with federal, state, and local labor regulations (CA, UT, MN, TX)
- Direct efforts to continually standardize processes across all our locations (CA, UT, MN, FL, TX)
- Works closely to coordinate and streamline PeopleOp initiatives and processes with the Director of PeopleOps-LATAM.
- Develop and implement standardized HR policies and programs across all USA offices (and international operations when necessary).
- Act as an advocate and resource for all Paystanders.
- Own onboarding execution and our tools to ensure each new hire has a seamless experience from offer acceptance through their first day.
- Troubleshoot escalations related to complex systems limitations from business teams by engaging in root cause analysis and implementing solutions that are in the best interest of the employee and business.
- Work with legal counsel and external consultants to help ensure Paystand’s compliance with all federal, multi-state, and local labor regulations in the USA.
- Implements employee benefits programs and informs employees of benefits by studying and assessing benefit needs and trends.
- Recommend benefit programs to management and conduct educational programs on benefit options.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; applies this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to upper management.
- Facilitates professional development, training, rewards & recognition, and activities for staff.
- Works in conjunction with other departments to implement and promote a culture of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Works closely with the finance and payroll team to ensure employee
- Performs other duties as required.
Core Competencies and Experience
- Experience supporting a scaling organization at critical stages of growth & expansion.
- Hands-on experience supporting the HR needs of a growing and transitional organization.
- Demonstrated understanding of metrics, drivers, variable compensation plans, and HR analytics.
- Background in process improvement and a passion for ways to streamline, automate and scale people operations.
- Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Measures self against standard of excellence. Recognizes and acts on opportunities.
- Sets and achieves challenging goals. Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Thrives in a fast-paced constantly changing environment. Must be flexible and enjoy thinking outside the box for solutions to changes in business direction.
- Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits the ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses. Pursues training and development opportunities. Seeks feedback to improve performance. Shares expertise with others. Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
- High emotional intelligence. Encourages open communications; confronts difficult situations; maintains objectivity; keeps emotions under control; uses negotiation skills to resolve conflicts.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views.
- Gives and welcomes feedback. Puts success of team above own interests.
- Proficient in Google Suite, Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.) as well as Zoom and HRIS database systems such as Bamboo HR.
Qualifications & Requirements
- A background of 8+ years as an HR business partner or Generalist, preferably with experience at fast-growing technology companies.
- A clear, approachable, and friendly communication style.
- Proven ability to influence across diverse groups and levels.
- Minimum 3+ years managing California employee workforce.
- Minimum 3+ years managing Workers Compensation, FMLA/CFRA/PFL Leaves of Absence, AWA, ADA, EDD, etc.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment where business demands can quickly change the course of your actions.
- Strong analytical and project management skills; proven ability to design clear processes and a very detail-oriented yet flexible approach to problem-solving.
- Experience implementing scalable people programs including performance coaching, employee relations, compensation review process, HR compliance, and employee development/growth.
- General knowledge of how PeopleOp initiatives may impact the payroll process.
- Bilingual and the ability to conduct business transactions in both English & Spanish.
- Background and experience with international HR initiatives (mainly LATAM) and working within a matrixed organization.
- Experience supporting a workforce of 150+ employees at multiple locations.
- Experience supporting both private and public technology-based companies.
- Current Human Resources Certifications (SHRM-SCP, SHRM-CP, HRCI-SPHR, or HRCI-PHR).
- 120,000 USD - 170,000 USD salary base + quarterly bonus + competitive equity in a high growth-stage startup.
- Up to $10,200 per year Wellness Allowance.
- Stock Options, 401K & Roth 401K with company match.
- Comprehensive Benefits are offered including medical, dental, vision, Critical Illness, and Accident.
- Holidays, PTO, Float Days.
- Catered Lunches Daily and unlimited snack wall.
- Travel opportunities.
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of dedication, impact, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We want you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we’re looking for. We also know that diversity of background and thought makes for better problem-solving and more creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team. We look forward to hearing from you.
This is NOT a remote position. All roles are on-site only. Only English resumes will be considered.
***No external recruiters please***