Staff Software Engineer Java
Your Way to Impact:
As a Staff Software Engineer for PayPal Checkout, you will provide technical leadership for your development team, and you will lead the team’s participation in all phases of our software development lifecycle. In this role, you will be responsible for shaping the future of PayPal's customer facing checkout products. This will be accomplished through technical leadership, implementation of technical designs, direct contributions to architectural decisions, influencing the technical direction of our server-side applications and mentoring of junior engineers. You will be responsible for developing industry-leading experiences that bring unquestionable value to both merchants and buyers. You will use your years of technical expertise and a solid understanding of the business domain to help us improve the scale, reliability, and performance of our platforms.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to a team of software engineers, fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrate end-to-end ownership of features, projects, modules, and services that you and your team deliver in all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Lead your team’s design and implementation of end-to-end solutions towards new payment experiences using various technologies.
- Lead architectural discussions and contribute to overall technical direction, advocating for best practices and innovative solutions.
- Optimize software performance, identifying and resolving bottlenecks via monitoring, logging, and metrics to enhance the user experience.
- Act as a strong advocate for clean, scalable, high-performing, secure, and reliable software services, in all areas, including coding, documentation, automation, etc.
- Identify and implement critical non-functional requirements (Availability, Security, Performance, Scalability, and Observability), and improve automated test strategies, build and deploy processes to enable speedy and reliable continuous integration.
What do you need to bring:
- 6+ years of professional experience in software development, with a strong emphasis on backend development in Java.
- High proficiency and strong skills in Java, J2EE Technologies, object-oriented, and functional programming, and familiarity with all related and latest topics and technologies
- Solid understanding of the possibilities and limitations of building robust backend applications.
- Experience in building high-scale, high-throughput, low-latency systems.
- Experience in writing high-quality code, and automated tests to back up your code.
- Strong problem-solving skills, possessing the ability to work independently or collaboratively to analyze and address complex technical challenges.
- Experience with modern software development practices, version control systems, and agile methodologies.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Strong attention to detail, as well as a passion for delivering high-quality software solutions.