Staff Software Engineer - Java
Illinois, USA · United States
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2023
At PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), we believe that every person has the right to participate fully in the global economy. Our mission is to democratize financial services to ensure that everyone, regardless of background or economic standing, has access to affordable, convenient, and secure products and services to take control of their financial lives. Job Description Summary:What you need to know about the role: As a member of the Checkout Engineering team, you will be responsible for the development and delivery of the applications and services that power PayPal’s Checkout user experiences. You will work closely with product, design, and analytics teams to understand what the buyers and merchants using our software desire from us. We're looking for talented, motivated and detail-oriented technologists with a passion for building robust systems at scale. We value collaboration, communication, and a passion for achieving engineering and product excellence. Meet our team: At PayPal Checkout Engineering, we're building experiences used by millions of merchants and shoppers worldwide, and our team is on a mission to provide sophisticated, tailor-made experiences to all of our users. PayPal has been at the forefront of building global-scale Java and J2EE applications and is a pioneer in the payments realm. Our passionate engineers continually question assumptions, experiment with new technologies and architectures, and collaborate to create engaging and innovative payment experiences. Job Description: Your Way to Impact:As a Staff Software Engineer for PayPal Checkout, you will provide technical guidance for your development team and you will oversee the team’s participation in all phases of our software development lifecycle. In this role, you will be responsible for shaping the future of PayPal's customer facing checkout products. This will be accomplished through technical leadership, implementation of technical designs, direct contributions to architectural decisions, influencing the technical direction of our server-side applications and mentoring of junior engineers. You will be responsible for developing industry-leading experiences that bring unquestionable value to both merchants and buyers. You will use your years of technical expertise and a solid understanding of the business domain to help us improve the scale, reliability, and performance of our platforms. Your Day-to-Day:
- Provide technical guidance to a team of software engineers, fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrate end-to-end ownership of features, projects, modules, and services that you and your team deliver in all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Lead your team’s design and implementation of end-to-end solutions towards new payment experiences using various technologies.
- Lead architectural discussions and contribute to overall technical direction, advocating for best practices and innovative solutions.
- Optimize software performance, identifying and resolving bottlenecks via monitoring, logging, and metrics to enhance the user experience.
- Act as a strong advocate for clean, scalable, high-performing, secure, and reliable software services, in all areas, including coding, documentation, automation, etc.
- Identify and implement critical non-functional requirements (Availability, Security, Performance, Scalability, and Observability), and improve automated test strategies, build and deploy processes to enable speedy and reliable continuous integration.
- Collaborate with other development teams to ensure seamless integration and deployment of server-side applications, automating and enhancing build, test, and deployment processes.
- Communicate effectively with all technical and non-technical partners and stakeholders (Architecture, Developer Experience, Product, Design, Analytics, Legal, Marketing, etc.) as well as within your team to ensure shared understanding around the new products and features under consideration.
- Conduct formal and informal code reviews, providing constructive feedback to team members to ensure code quality and adherence to clean and scalable coding principles.
- Mentor and guide junior engineers, fostering their professional growth and promoting a collaborative and knowledge-sharing environment.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest industry standards, tools, and technologies related to server-side development, observability, and DevOps practices, and drive their adoption within the team.
- Participate in program planning, influencing the product and technology roadmap and driving outcomes.
- 6+ years of professional experience in software development, with a strong emphasis on backend development in Java.
- High proficiency and strong skills in Java, J2EE Technologies, object-oriented, and functional programming, and familiarity with all related and latest topics and technologies
- Solid understanding of the possibilities and limitations of building robust backend applications.
- Experience in building high-scale, high-throughput, low-latency systems.
- Experience in writing high-quality code, and automated tests to back up your code.
- Strong problem-solving skills, possessing the ability to work independently or collaboratively to analyze and address complex technical challenges.
- Experience with modern software development practices, version control systems, and agile methodologies.