Shape the Future of Finance
Pagaya is building a leading artificial intelligence network to help our partners grow their businesses and better serve their customers.
Pagaya is a global technology company making life-changing financial products and services available to more people nationwide, as it reshapes the financial services ecosystem. By using machine learning, a vast data network and a sophisticated AI-driven approach, Pagaya provides comprehensive consumer credit and residential real estate solutions for its partners, their customers, and investors. Its proprietary API and capital solutions integrate into its network of partners to deliver seamless user experiences and greater access to the mainstream economy. Pagaya has offices in New York and Tel Aviv. For more information, visit pagaya.com.
Let's create better outcomes together!
About the Role
The Partnerships Counsel (title based on experience) is a central role in establishing the interface between Pagaya and its commercial clients. The role requires a mixture of legal acumen, business judgment and structuring. Partnerships Counsel is expected to have a comprehensive understanding of Pagaya’s core business and a solid working knowledge of financing principles, with a particular focus on the negotiation and drafting of legal agreements required to form the partnership agreements and to sell and service loans and other financial assets.
We are looking for a smart, motivated, self-starter with excellent judgment to join our growing global legal team in a rapidly growing company. The ideal candidate is a business-minded lawyer who is focused on execution and prepared to lead on important partnership deals, while collaborating with our Business, Technology, Capital Markets and other teams and stakeholders, including Risk and Compliance, within the company.
To be successful in our Partnerships Counsel role, we’re looking for someone who is proactive and collaborative and is comfortable with providing both high level strategic support as well as detailed legal advice. Being passionate about business growth is key to success at Pagaya. We want a candidate who is excited by the challenge of working in a legally complex global fintech company and who welcomes the dynamic environment that comes with a growing company. This role will engage with all levels of employees and management, so social and communication skills are vital to strong working relationships.
The role reports directly to the Deputy General Counsel and will be located in New York.
- Act as a strategic partner to our business team to draft, review and negotiate commercial agreements relating to the acquisition and servicing of various asset classes
- Build, analyze and structure complex partnership and partnerships
- Stay on top of regulatory developments for banking/consumer credit laws and structuring partnership transactions, and advise the business team on new risks
- Provide any other legal or non-legal support that the business
- A qualified attorney in the United States (preferably NY or CA)
- 6+ years experience in US law firm and/or in-house, though the right candidate could have significantly more experience
- Excellent contract drafting skills and ability to negotiate and advice on complex transactions with minimal support from external counsel
- Familiarity with US consumer credit/lending legal and regulatory regimes, including FCRA, GLBA, TILA, etc
- Excellent judgment and initiative in developing creative, practical, and effective solutions, using a business-first approach
- Excellent communication skills and ability to convey complex principles effectively and clearly to legal and non-legal colleagues
- Significant experience negotiating purchase and servicing agreements for consumer credit assets (unsecured loans, auto loans, credit cards, point-of-sale) preferred
- Native/Fluent English (written and spoken)
- JD or LLM from accredited US law school
The pay ranges for New York-based hires are commensurate with candidate experience. Pay range: $200,000-240,000.
Pay ranges for candidates working in locations other than New York may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
Pagaya was founded in 2016 by seasoned research, finance, and technology entrepreneurs with our head quarters located in NYC, Tel Aviv, Boston, and Zurich.
We move fast and smart, identifying new opportunities and building end-to-end solutions from AI models and unique data sources. Every Pagaya team member is solving new and exciting challenges every day in a culture based on partnership, collaboration, and community.
Join a team of builders who are working every day to enable better outcomes for our partners and their customers.
- Continuously Learn- We challenge ourselves for the sake of getting better as individuals, as teams, and as an organization to deliver for our partners.
- Debate and Commit- We respectfully and openly debate to strengthen our ideas and build shared conviction - once we decide, we go all in, together.
- Dream Big and Act- We boldly tackle complex problems, pressure-test solutions in real-time, and adapt with speed and energy.
- Advance Inclusion- We create a world where everyone can win, designing systems that better represent people and generate sustainable value for our employees, partners and investors.
- Be Accountable Together- We proudly own our actions and our results, taking initiative to ensure our work gets over the finish line as a team.
More than just a job
We believe health, happiness, and productivity go hand-in-hand. That's why we're continually looking to enhance the ways we support you with benefits programs and perks that allow every Pagayan to do the best work of their life.