Head of Marketing and Communications
We are on a mission to ensure that the financial system is routing money to the best ideas while helping people build and protect their long-term financial health. Our platform empowers financial advisors to learn about, build personalized strategies around, and invest in (previously inaccessible) private investments to help them grow their businesses and improve the outcomes of their clients.
The market for private investments is expected to grow by $2 trillion in the next decade, but remains largely inaccessible to the majority of non-institutional investors. Our platform provides exclusive educational content, personalized guidance, bespoke investment options, and a streamlined investment process to help make these investments more accessible than ever before.
About the Role
As Opto’s first full-time marketing hire and head of the discipline, you will play a key role in shaping our voice, developing and executing a marketing plan, and building a community around our brand. Reporting directly to the CEO, you will be responsible for Opto’s entire brand presence, helping us tell our story to our customers, partners, and expert network.
- Develop content, digital, and event marketing plan and goals and execute against both
- Refine and evolve our market segments and customer personas to ensure we are using the best channel approach and channel to reach our audience
- Collaborate closely with leadership, design, content, investment research, and advisory services to develop and refine brand messaging, build top-of-funnel and segmentation strategy, and optimize customer-facing materials for maximum impact
- Work closely with our external PR agency on content and communications strategy and project manage asset creation for paid and earned media
- Establish and maintain an internal communications function
- Plan and execute exclusive community events for our network of customers, potential customers, fund managers, and partners
- Oversee communications for company announcements in partnership with our PR agency
- Grow brand following through email marketing and social media
- Cultivate online and offline relationships with influencers in the private investment and wealth management space
- Build infrastructure to monitor appropriate metrics for user and prospect engagement with content and direct marketing campaigns
- Help manage the content distribution process, incorporating SEO best practices
- Perform market research and engagement data analysis to understand messaging effectiveness to evolve our brand and marketing touchpoints across website, email, and third-party channels
You are an experienced, strategic, and creative individual who is excited to lay the foundation for a young company’s marketing strategy. You enjoy leveraging established and emerging social media channels, finding new and creative ways to express a company's brand, and expanding the company’s reach across different channels. You love being a champion of the community, working to create a modern editorial content strategy that is participatory with our audience of wealth and fund managers.
You understand how to use events, email, and editorial content to strategically build brands, capture attention, and inspire engagement. You have developed creative marketing campaigns (preferably for FinTech brands) that have been culturally resonant. You have a deep understanding of the capabilities and behaviors of social platforms and understand how to leverage a broad network of partners to build familiarity and trust with a brand.
- 8+ years of marketing experience in a strategic marketing role:
- Financial services experience required
- B2B technology experience preferred
- Articulate storytelling. Ability to speak and write with passion and clarity
- Community building. Ability to build and cultivate networks of experts and customers through exclusive, high-quality events
- Deadline-driven. Ability to move fast to create high-quality content in an evolving environment
- Clear communication. Skilled at converting complex concepts into simple explanations
- Breadth of experience. Able to work across a wide variety of marketing channels including media, influencer marketing, and content within a startup environment with limited resources
- Creative sensibility. Strong intuition and understanding of what makes great creative; proficient in working with and giving direction to designers
- Action-oriented. Excited about rolling up your sleeves to get things done
- Detail-oriented. You take pride in what you produce and recognize the importance of quality to brand identity
- Experience in content marketing and working on a brand from an early stage
- Familiarity with legal and compliance rules in the finance industry
- Experience with data-intensive analysis of market and platform usage / engagement
All full-time employees at Opto enjoy:
- Significant equity
- Health, dental, and vision
- Unlimited PTO
- Retirement savings plan (401k)
- Learning & WFH stipends
Something looks off?