DevOps Engineer, Information Security
We are on a mission to ensure that the financial system is routing money to the best ideas while helping people build and protect their long-term financial health. Our platform empowers financial advisors to learn about, build personalized strategies around, and invest in (previously inaccessible) private investments to help them grow their businesses and improve the outcomes of their clients.
The market for private investments is expected to grow by $2 trillion in the next decade, but remains largely inaccessible to the majority of non-institutional investors. Our platform provides exclusive educational content, personalized guidance, bespoke investment options, and a streamlined investment process to help make these investments more accessible than ever before.
About the Role
You will be a key member of the Platform Engineering Team, which develops the core infrastructure for building, deploying, securing, and operating our next generation software platform. We draw on Systems Administration, Security, Frontend, and Backend software development experience to accomplish this challenging mission.
We are particularly interested in systematizing and elevating our platform stability & overall security posture as our business expands. Platform Engineering will collaborate closely with members of Software Engineering & Product Management - along with technology management and business stakeholders - to remediate risk and help the business scale efficiently.
Opto is a fun and productive environment to be an engineer, and we expect you to be an active participant in company culture. We can’t get where we’re going as the “Department of No”! We need a strong leader “by example” who engages in discussions, documentation, and code review - as well as rallying other engineers to run _towards_ the fire, get your hands dirty, and get the job done.
- Partner with product managers & software engineers to solve the technical challenges of building, deploying, securing, and operating our next generation software platform.
- Provide “care & feeding” to software infrastructure and systems that support rapid iteration & service stability. This includes automation, maintenance, monitoring, and other administration of Opto’s core systems and business applications - and being a part of an on-call rotation (1 week shifts for 24 hour coverage)
- Develop & maintain internal tools to automate and improve the ability of Opto engineering to build and secure its products and processes.
- Participate in meeting audit standards such as SOC2 - which we use as a north star to secure and monitor our network and systems, provide strong availability, and to protect customer data.
- Technical degree (or equivalent work experience)
- 3+ years of experience in Systems Administration, Infrastructure Engineering, DevOps, Information Security or equivalent
- Experience with software development in regulated industries, and with audit requirements such as SOC2
- Experience with Cloud infrastructure (we use AWS) & related modern infrastructure components/techniques, including: cloud database/datastores (Postgres, Snowflake), multi-AZ deployments, service monitoring/logging (Datadog, Prometheus, etc), enterprise networking, container orchestration platforms (EKS)
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, Pulumi, etc) & modern software development lifecycle patterns (CI/CD, version control with Git, etc)
- Highly Proficient at terminal operations / shell scripting - particularly as it pertains to Linux, AWS, Kubernetes, Git, and CI/CD (such as Github Actions)
- Experience developing tools & writing code in at least one programming language (Python, TypeScript, Golang, etc)
- Experienced with incident management and blameless postmortems
- Experience running information security tools to monitor & manage risk (such as Vanta)
- Experience administrating IT & SaaS tools for both technical and non-technical users
- Comfort with ambiguity, 80/20 solutions, and a focus on execution in a fast-paced startup environment
- Excellent communication skills and grace under pressure
Compensation and Benefits
Opto has a high bar for talent, and we are committed to building the best teams possible. Candidates are never subjected to discrimination based on race, citizenship, religion, ethnicity, gender or gender identity, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, sensory, mental, or physical disability, or any other characteristic.
The successful candidate for this role can expect a generous compensation and benefits package. The cash salary range for this role is $140,000-$185,000 dependent on skills, experience and expected contribution.
All full time employees at Opto enjoy:
- Significant equity
- Health, dental, and vision
- Unlimited PTO
- Retirement savings plan (401k)
- Learning & WFH stipends