Engineering Manager (Remote, US)
Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up. We are re-envisioning and enhancing every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of exceptional, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets, spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
Now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why
- It’s working. We’re in multiple states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well-backed & stable. We closed our $75M Series C fundraise. We are supported by some of the top investors globally, including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
We're hiring an Engineering Manager to drive their team's people, projects, and processes forward. In this position, you will play an essential role in growing and developing engineers to deliver mission-critical functionality to the Openly platform that will power our insurance products and customer experiences.
- Manage, support, and mentor a diverse group of engineers
- Give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make choices that result in recognition for themselves and not just for yourself
- Remove roadblocks for your team and escalate when you need additional context or direction
- Drive your team toward their career goals, identify milestones, and set them up for success along the way
- Promote a culture of feedback and transparent communication
- Partner with internal stakeholders on feature definition and drives breakdown of work to support organization objectives
- Partner closely with the management team, HR, and Recruiting to attract, recruit, and develop a diverse team of high-quality engineers
- Proactively maintain alignment between business goals and objectives with the team's day-to-day work
- Work to resolve or escalate issues that serve as roadblocks and place deliverables and goals at risk
- Gain and maintain visibility into trade-offs between options and priorities to positively influence the approach taken by the team
- Design feedback loops to incorporate members' feedback into continuous improvement activities
- Backend/Core: Go & Postgresql
- Frontend: Browser-based, VueJS, Webpack, Nuxt & Tailwind
- Research/Data Science: R, ArcGIS, H2O, & Python
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud, specifically Cloud Run, Cloud Build, and CloudSQL, managed with Terraform. We use GitHub for code hosting and CircleCI for running our CI/CD pipelines.
- Remote work tools: Slack, Zoom, Gather.Town, Donut
*If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience guiding a group of diverse, bright, and motivated engineers while balancing their needs with business requirements
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 5+ years of engineering experience and 3+ years of management
- Ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders to maximize our resources
- Highly autonomous with the ability to prioritize
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Passion for making progress in DE&I
- Experience or familiarity with agile methodologies and strong organizational skills.
- Logical thought processes and possess excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to think strategically and execute methodically
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary, corporate bonus program, equity position in a start-up company
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, 401k with corporate contribution, and FSA plan
- Company-paid 12 weeks parental leave policy
- The company fully embraces the “work-from-anywhere in the US” mentality, even before COVID restrictions.
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer and currently residing in the US will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities under applicable law.