Values Based Investing - Research, Vice President
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2023
OpenInvest, a J.P. Morgan Chase company, is a values-based financial services leader with a mission to align capital with social and environmental values. Founded in 2015 by FinTech and ESG veterans, OpenInvest’s platform unlocks a personalized and engaging end-to-end client experience, including dynamic custom indexing, impact reporting, proxy voting, and more.
Formerly a Public Benefit Corporation and supported in our mission by some of the biggest names in Silicon Valley like YCombinator, Andreessen Horowitz, and QED, OpenInvest was acquired by JPMC in June of 2021. JPMC services are used in half of all American households: join us to help design and offer sustainable finance solutions on the greatest scale, nationwide and across the world.
Visas: OpenInvest is unable to apply for new visas for candidates, but existing visas can be transferred
Note to candidates: You will be hired as an employee of J.P. Morgan Chase
Location: Anywhere in the US
We are looking for a Sustainable Investing Vice President to help us build and execute our Values Based Investing (VBI) Research strategy. We are a leading provider of VBI-optimized investment solutions and are looking for a committed team member to maintain and grow our suite of personalized, sustainable investing products. You will help us implement our highly differentiated Sustainability data set as we roll out new VBI Causes (investment and reporting strategies aligned to values) and evolve existing ones.
If you are the type of person who loves to dig deep and do research on sustainable investing themes and then write up your findings to share them with the world, then this is the role for you! This job is research and writing intensive and is much more qualitative than qualitative. It is not a pathway to portfolio construction and management but rather is the ideal opportunity for someone who wants to help shape and inform the methodology we use to drive values-aligned business outcomes.
What You’ll Do:
- Support the maintenance and expansion of OpenInvest Cause methodologies
- Spearhead research efforts to identify, screen, and recommend novel datasets for VBI products
- Select and design new evaluation metrics to determine company alignment with diverse values-based investment strategies
- Act as Subject Matter Expert on new and existing Cause methodologies; be able to understand and articulate the user journeys for Causes
- Support Annual Review of existing Cause methodologies across J.P. Morgan and OpenInvest stakeholder groups
- Facilitate the generation of new ideas/approaches for tangible sustainability metrics
- Write methodology documentation for new and updated VBI products
- Support research with J.P. Morgan to evaluate the demand for new and existing Cause products and applications
- Explore opportunities to create bespoke VBI datasets and novel research for OpenInvest and J.P. Morgan
- Research market best practices and opportunities for continued enhancements of Sustainable Investing products
- Write content around our differentiated VBI approach and relevant sustainability themes/trends, supporting white papers and other thought leadership outputs
- Collaborate and coordinate across Research Implementation, Development and Management teams to drive forward solutions
- Alongside team members, serve as subject matter expert on OpenInvest data sources and methodology across all VBI products
- Support VBI educational initiatives for clients, advisors and stakeholder groups
- Collaborate with other OpenInvest teams (possibly including Product, Engineering, and Marketing) on any and all Sustainable Investing/VBI initiatives
- Work with J.P. Morgan and OpenInvest stakeholders to deliver products for a broad range of clients and specific client segments
Who You Are:
- 7-11 years of experience in ESG, Sustainability, or SRI-related research (including impact investing, policy, and/or NGO experience)
- Familiarity with investment products and wealth management
- Experience presenting Sustainability data and solutions to clients and non-experts.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong data analysis skills and analytical mindset
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Ability to present complex information in compelling and relatable terms
- Experience with Excel
- Strong sense of ownership and responsibility to colleagues and clients
- A high degree of comfort with both approaching new challenges independently and close collaboration with colleagues as the situation requires
- Advanced degree in related discipline
- Leadership experience (supervising or managing junior talent)
- Demonstrated success conducting Sustainable Investing research
- Passion for Sustainability issues and interest in a values-led approach to sustainable investing
- Profound intellectual curiosity and adaptability
- Strong initiative, creativity and entrepreneurial spirit
- A critical thinker with an inquiry-driven approach to solving problems
- Exceptional writing and verbal presentation skills
- Ability to excel in a high-performance environment while managing multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with others
- Familiarity with SQL or Python
OpenInvest’s core values are:
· Pursuing a challenging mission
· Thriving on transparency
· Maintaining high standards of integrity
· Guaranteeing the right to be heard
· Prioritizing personal growth
· Prioritizing diversity and inclusion
We aim to build a culture just as open and accountable as our products. We hold ourselves and our colleagues to high standards in how we treat each other, our communities, and our clients. As part of our team, you are willing to work hard, handle various responsibilities as necessary, and be passionate about long-term, company-wide goals. OpenInvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds in our team and culture.
OpenInvest is committed to supporting the needs of its candidates and employees. Please don’t hesitate to ask if there are any accommodations we can make for you either during the hiring process or upon joining the company.
· We also encourage you to apply for this opportunity on the JPMorgan Chase Careers page.