Accounting & Finance
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2023
At Obie, we are shaking up landlord insurance, making it easily available for landlords and real estate investors both when and where they need it. With a focus on driving efficiency and innovation for our customers and within our team, we’re on the search for new talent that can take Obie to the next level.
At Obie, you’ll collaborate with a diverse team that embraces evidence-based decision making, learns from failure, accepts feedback, and is always prepared to make changes for the better. You’ll be expected to operate with flexibility and leverage your curiosity to drive innovation while collaborating with colleagues across teams and areas of expertise. Our ideal teammates are kind, passionate, committed to excellence and eager to nerd out over the best ways to make Obie even better.
Our Chicago based employees are hybrid, and expected to be in office on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for most activities within the accounting function. This role is responsible for ensuring timely payment of vendor invoices and expense payments, maintaining accurate records, control documentation and reconciliation preparation. This person will be responsible for the complete and accurate recording of accounts payable, accounts receivables and assigned expense accounts. The individual in this role will contribute to the project/department milestones/goals through ownership of assigned accounts. This position will report to the Director of Financial Reporting.
What You'll Do
- Manages Accounts Payable and Receivable - overseeing invoicing, including 1099-year end payments and other accounts payable related matters
- Manages Vendor Relations, including new vendor onboarding and account maintenance
- Ensures timely processing of vendor invoices and application of vendor payments
- Manage employee expense submissions and document approvals inline with company policies
- Manage monthly closing of accounts payable, accounts receivable, and assigned expense accounts, including identifying month end accruals and posting of journal entries to ensure the accuracy of financial statements
- Responsible for monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements in accordance with US GAAP
- Assist in the maintenance of a system of internal controls with detailed and targeted documentation of monthly, quarterly, and annual processes
- Responsible for assisting in annual audits, and maintaining compliance on state and federal levels
- Provides accounting support to operations.
What You'll Bring
- Degree in Accounting/Finance, or related degree or relevant work experience
- 3+ years of relevant work experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintain a high level of integrity, confidentiality and professional skepticism.
- Experience and skilled at working in a collaborative and fast-moving environment
Nice to Haves (Preferred)
- Insurance experience
- Public Accounting experience
- Experience working in Sage Intacct
We want you at your best, and won't be giving you any gotcha-style questions - we aren't like that. We want to get to know you, hear about what you're interested in, and learn about what you hope to do in the future.
You should familiarize yourself with these resources before continuing:
a. Our company’s blog to learn more about the space we’re working in, where we write about landlord insurance.
b. Check out our Twitter and LinkedIn to get a glimpse of how people interact with our brand and product.
c. Some posts with and about us around the web (Inc 5000, Estate Innovation, Geek Estate Blog, Business Wire)
1. Meet us and learn about Obie
You'll first talk to Kara or Rebecca on a 30 minute call; you won't need to prepare anything in advance. The goal of this conversation is to get to know you and mutually explore if we might be a good fit for each other. You'll learn more about Obie and have a chance to ask any questions about our company, team, culture, and product.
2. Meet the hiring manager
You'll get to have a 45 minute video interview with the hiring manager for this role, David Janusz. This discussion will be more technical in nature to ensure you have the skills needed to be successful in the role.
3. Project exercise
We will present you with a short exercise to complete, so please be thorough and use the resources available to you. More on this when you get there!
4. Meet the team
Since you'll be joining a close-knit team, we'll ask you to meet other people in the company so we get to know each other a bit better.
More About Obie
Founded in 2017, Obie is paving a new path in insurance for landlords and real estate investors. Obie’s goal is to fundamentally change how insurance is bought and sold by building technology and insurance products that increase ease and accessibility for the 17 million residential real estate investors and landlords in the US. Obie offers a superior insurance experience, allowing real estate investors and landlords to obtain the right coverage where it’s most convenient for them, whether that means using our digital quote tools, working with independent agents, or finding us through our integrations with industry partners.
With over 6,000 active policy holders, and over $20 billion in coverage secured, Obie has still barely scratched the surface of its growth potential. That growth is supported by $39 million secured in funding, positioning it perfectly to continue revolutionizing the industry.
Obie has you covered
Being in the insurance industry, we understand the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. These are just some of the benefits and perks we provide:
Flexible time off with an encouraged minimum time away to support a healthy work-life balance
12 weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Great health, dental and vision coverage
Flexible Spending & Health Savings Accounts
Pet Insurance Reimbursement
Health and wellness benefit
Equipment budget - everything you need to do your best work
Professional development support