Director of Data Science
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2023
At Nova Credit, our mission is to power a more fair and inclusive financial system for the world. Nova Credit's diverse global team is stitching together the world's credit data into a single network to unlock financial opportunities for immigrants and other populations historically excluded from the credit system. We've built a platform that enables lenders to access a single, predictive cross-border credit database to help enable underwriting decisions. We are backed by leading investors, including Kleiner Perkins, General Catalyst, and Index Ventures, and are proud recipients of the following awards:
-Forbes' Best Startup Employers 2022
-BuiltIn NYC's Best Places to Work 2022: Best Small Companies to Work For
-Fast Company's World's Most Innovative Social Good Companies 2022
As Data Science lead for the Credit Passport team, you will play an essential role in leading, researching, designing, and building Nova Credit’s data and analysis strategy, as well as ensuring we continue to expand our product on a global scale while maintaining existing integrations with the highest data quality standards.
You will serve as a conduit to bring key functions together, including data partnerships, risk & analytics, product, engineering, and customer success, to develop and implement Nova Credit’s core data systems. You will work with customer-facing teams to analytically demonstrate the strength of Nova Credit’s products and services. Ultimately, your role is to ensure that Nova Credit’s products deliver high-quality predictive risk signals and will be critical to the company’s overall success.
- International Credit Underwriting Analytics: Lead the Credit Passport team in their work with global credit data to enable newcomers to get their foot in the door of lenders worldwide. Leverage and integrate data streams to deliver reporting and analytic insights with a focus on providing end users with superior credit risk and underwriting strategies, model risk management, and governance.
- Bureau integrations: The credit passport teams are responsible for improving and maintaining our integrations with bureaus around the world, serving newcomers into a broad range of geos (currently live in the US, Canada, Singapore, UK, and UAE) as well as rapidly expanding the number of countries we support with high-quality data in mind and efficiencies at scale.
- Data & Analytics Strategy: Research and contribute to the formulation of our long-term data strategy with global credit bureaus, alternative data providers, and evolving predictive data sources
- Business Support: Develop a robust customer-facing knowledge base and tools to communicate our platform's intricacies, bureau integrations, and data assets. Support our business development and customer success teams in product expansion, inquiry, and resolution work streams.
- Cross-functional Collaboration: Interface with engineering management to guide the stable and reliable deployment of data science insights into product knowledge
- People Management: Lead and support a small team of Data Scientists and Data Analysts in building out our global data and analysis strategy
WITHIN THE FIRST MONTH, YOU'LL:
- Understand Nova Credit's Credit Passport analytics strategy
- Contribute to key ongoing Credit Passport projects
- Meet the team and explore their skills/competencies
WITHIN THE FIRST QUARTER, YOU'LL:
- Thrive within your core responsibilities and start looking ahead to what the future of our Credit Passport product should look like from a data science perspective.
WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR, YOU'LL:
- Have successfully executed the 12-month goals we set out together after your first quarter while leading a high-performing team.
- 7+ years experience working with credit underwriting analytics, credit data, and strategy development
- Strong people-management skills, having previously led a small team of data scientists and analysts
- Experience in consumer financial services, with the capacity to develop industry-standard analyses and tools
- Experience with analytical tools (SQL, Python) and data monitoring tooling (e.g., Tableau, Looker)
- Intellectual curiosity is essential, along with creativity and technical expertise, as you work with data from diverse sources to develop powerful insights
Everyone is welcome at Nova Credit. We are an equal opportunity employer where our diversity and inclusion are central pillars to our company strategy. We look for applicants who understand, embrace, and thrive in a multicultural and increasingly globalized world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.