Data Scientist, Analytics
Location: Palo Alto, CA (hybrid)
NEXT’s mission is to help entrepreneurs thrive. We’re doing that by building the only technology-led, full-stack provider of small business insurance in the industry, taking on the entire value chain and transforming the customer experience.
Simply put, wherever you find small businesses, you’ll find NEXT.
Since 2016, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of small business customers across the United States get fast, customized and affordable coverage. We’re backed by industry leaders in insurance and tech, and we still have room to grow — that’s where you come in.
Want to shape the future of insurance through data science? We are looking for a Data Scientist to join the growing data org that has a dedication to diving into data and thinking analytically about business problems and user behaviors. The ideal candidate is excited to define and own company objectives and guide their team towards success through data-driven decisions. If you have the intuition to identify important analytical questions, the technical ability for complex deep-dives, and the communication skills to help the team turn ideas into action - you belong here!
What You’ll Do:
- Partner with our underwriting capabilities team to develop underwriting processes that are fast, accurate and fair that enable profitable growth
- Work closely with risk ML to measure model performance, feature stability, and the effects of new models on growth and risk
- Identify, size and prioritize opportunities pertaining to growth and profitability
- Create your own roadmap and priorities in partnership with a broad set of stakeholders across engineering, machine learning, and product management
- Partner with data engineering to design the right data model, logging, and data-pipeline foundations
- Work with cross-functional partners to determine the strategy of their team, then design the right metrics and targets to communicate their progress
- Create clear, compelling, and actionable insights based on data
- Develop dashboards to track metric progress against objectives, understand metric drivers, sound an early alarm on discrepancies, and help business stakeholders make data-informed decisions
- Design experiments to inform product decisions
- Provide statistical rigor and guidance on metrics with long development period
What We Need:
- 5+ Years in a data science or analytics role
- Fluent in SQL and familiarity with modern, cloud data technologies
- Strong analysis skills in python or R
- Hands on experience with delivering insights using statistical analysis such as causal inference, regressions, and experiment design a plus
- Ability to define relevant metrics that can guide and influence stakeholders to the appropriate and accurate insights
- Experience building clear and easy to understand dashboards
- Ability to communicate effectively to cross functional partners of varying technical levels
- Experience influencing the product strategy through analyses
- BA/BS degree
- Experience with portfolio risk management
- Experience with assessing production ML model performance
The range displayed on this job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position in the location(s) listed. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including, without limitation, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. NEXT employees are eligible to participate in our equity incentive program and will also receive our benefits package, consisting of our partially subsidized medical plan, fully subsidized vision/dental options, life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k), flexible paid time off, parental leave and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some underrepresented people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At NEXT, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
One of our core values is 'Play as a Team'; this means making sure everyone has an equal chance to participate and make a difference. We win by playing together. Next Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and prioritizes building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants of any type and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state, and local laws. Next's policy is to comply with all applicable laws related to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Something looks off?