Vice President, Software Development
At Neo, we’re disrupting the future of finance. What matters most to us is challenging the status quo and providing a better financial future for all Canadians. We’re working everyday to reinvent the way Canadians spend, save, and grow their money - all together, in one place. We’re creating a seamless digital experience, with the modern day features you’ve come to expect. Our products speak for themselves - the Neo card was voted best cash back card in Canada and the Neo Money account was voted best bank account in Canada.
Backed by world class investors, we’ve raised $299M and are one of a few Canadian tech companies that have reached ‘unicorn’ status - valued over $1B. Check out the full story here.
Neo Financial is looking for a full-time VP of Software Development to join our team in Calgary and work directly with our founders and CTO. A successful Vice President, Software Development on our team will be a charismatic, motivating, outgoing people-person with strong leadership and management fundamentals.
As VP, Software Development you’ll work with a team of senior managers and other technical leaders to ensure we are executing and improving at all levels. You understand that teamwork, collaboration, ownership, and focus are what ultimately define the success of a technology team. You’re a master at communicating context, managing change, and holding other leaders accountable.
What you’ll be doing:
- Work directly with the CTO and founders to understand Neo’s business and direction, and co-develop strategy or initiatives to move the needle.
- Directly supervise, mentor, and collaborate with software development managers who are in the thick of it with their teams every day, pushing and coaching them to a faster pace or new heights.
- Collaborate with our Product Management team and leaders to help map product needs and roadmaps onto small, agile, effective software development teams.
- Take feedback and build trust to achieve a pragmatic balance between immediate business needs and doing the right thing from a tech or software development team perspective.
- Partner with our People team to ensure Neo’s company-wide culture, values, strategies or goals are fundamentally aligned with everything done within your teams.
- Look for trends, root causes, or long term improvements we can make (even if our managers and technical leads are focused on immediate problems or fires).
- Lead people/recruiting team efforts to find, recruit, interview, onboard and grow our tremendous pool of talent; ensure we can hit near-impossible growth goals by taking an active approach.
- Motivate the whole team to be involved in the tech community to bolster Neo’s presence and reputation; encourage others to step up but show them the way.
- Work with business stakeholders at Neo or other companies, often serving as a connection point for relationships, partnerships or initiatives.
- Figure out how to get great outcomes by setting the appropriate context and expectations, rather than by trying to control, set policies, or dictate directions.
Who we are looking for:
- 10+ years of experience in diverse technology roles, including 3+ years experience in any similar leadership role (Founder, CTO, CIO, VP, etc).
- Great executive managers and leaders who will ensure we reach our vision for the best software development team in Canada.
- Community-builders who are passionate about people being together and growing in-person teams: building trust, creating close ties, nurturing communication and fostering strong relationships.
- Motivating leaders who spend time contextualizing and sharing the company’s strategic goals to help others feel connected and involved.
- Driven, performance-focused leaders who don’t just run teams, but who constantly push them to achieve and level them up, making it a challenge every day.
- Flexible leaders who can hop onto a ship in motion: you’re excited to adopt our identity, align with our values, and help us go the distance.
- Confident managers who can firmly hold others accountable, and who speak out against mediocre or sub-par results anywhere at Neo.
- Highly ambitious, big-picture thinkers who can imagine what Neo can be and can execute on our plan to get there in an impossibly short time.
- Dedicated career-minded individuals who realize that a VP role needs to be a tremendously important focus in their life (while also being a huge opportunity).
- All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada and able to relocate to Calgary.