Staff Data Developer
At Neo, we’re reimagining everyday financial services from the ground up and shaping the financial future for millions of people in Canada. We’re a tech company consistently pushing for the next best thing, which provides many opportunities to grow and learn personally and professionally. Ready to materialize your passion into a connected purpose? Come join a high-speed startup in a community of high-achieving dreamers and doers, set on innovating the best solutions.
About The Role:
Neo Financial has an opportunity for a Staff Data Developer to join our team in Calgary, AB.
We believe that data is a competitive advantage for Neo. As a Staff Data Developer, you’ll play a pivotal role in setting the technical direction for Neo’s data platform and building out key systems and solutions with data at the core.
We use a cloud-based, modern data architecture in our everyday work, including many state of the art tools and technologies. But we believe that a great data engineer with great developer fundamentals can learn any tech.
What you'll be doing:
- Build solutions using our high-tech data platform that includes Dbt, Snowflake, Apache Spark, Airflow, Kafka, AWS and Databricks (plus more).
- Make improvements to our data platform to optimize efficiency and help us scale - not only to higher volumes of data but to bigger teams and more complex projects.
- Set the pace and set the bar as one of our best hands-on data engineers at Neo.
- Perform code reviews to ensure that the work done by the team meets the highest standards and best practices.
- Be an expert with databases including SQL and NoSQL varieties; you should be a master of building and optimizing complex SQL queries.
- Develop automated testing for all your projects, ensuring that your solutions are high quality when released, but also helping avoid regressions over time.
- Develop patterns, abstractions, libraries, templates and other standards to help the team move fast and avoid reinventing the wheel.
- Own projects and systems in production, ensuring they are operating to the highest standards and meeting challenging SLAs.
- Be the voice for concerns like scalability, performance, security, and maintainability.
- Actively make an effort to teach others, mentor the team, collaborate, and be involved.
- Lead standup meetings, retrospectives, or technical reviews of product stories
Who we are looking for:
- 5+ years of strong experience with SQL and Python (or similar languages)
- 3+ years of experience creating and maintaining mission critical reports and dashboards.
- 2+ years of experience in data modeling in an enterprise data warehouse setting.
- Experience using Dbt, Airflow, s3, and Databricks are highly important.
- Expertise configuring and using modern Business Intelligence / Analytics services.
- Ability to leverage development best practices throughout your work - like source-control, automated testing, CI/CD deployment pipelines, code reviews, etc.
- Comfort building solutions in cloud-based environments like AWS, Azure, or similar.
- Strong leadership behaviors including giving confident feedback, presenting solution plans to executives, or participating in mentorship activities every day.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada and willing to relocate
What will help you succeed:
- You have great attention to detail and a high standard of work.
- You challenge the status quo and look for ways to continuously improve.
- You're an effective communicator with strong organizational skills.
- You are incredibly driven and hungry to learn or make an impact.
- You are a strong team player who can excel in a fast-paced environment.
Something looks off?