Head of Financial Crimes
Mercury is building a complete finance stack for startups. We work hard to create the easiest and safest banking* experience possible to simplify entrepreneurs' and business owners’ financial lives. The challenge is to do so while ensuring we protect Mercury, customers and the broader financial ecosystem from bad actors and harmful, illegal or unauthorized activities.
At Mercury, we’re taking Financial Crimes extremely seriously. The Financial Crimes group conducts investigations, develops procedures and builds capabilities with cross-functional partners to prevent, detect and report money laundering and sanctioned activities. As the Head of Financial Crimes, you will help drive these efforts. You will work closely with Compliance, Legal, Risk and Product leadership, and will play a strategic role in Mercury’s risk management efforts.
*Mercury is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by Choice Financial Group and Evolve Bank & Trust®; Members FDIC.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the Financial Crimes group, which includes the AML and Sanctions teams that are responsible for operationalizing policies and regulations, and create a roadmap and vision to uplevel the domain.
- Mentor, coach and support managers and ICs.
- Partner cross-functionally with Compliance, Legal, Product, Risk Strategy and additional groups to enhance Mercury’s AML/BSA/Sanctions programs and bring efficiency using data and technology.
- Increase resilience and scalability of the operation using robust procedures, process automation, and effectively working with Product teams to build capabilities and tools.
- Work closely with AML/BSA/Sanctions Officer to ensure robust risk management across all areas of the domain and proactively identify programs’ gaps and weaknesses.
- Assist and support the design and creation of relevant strategies in relation to BSA/AML/Sanctions.
- Educate internal and external stakeholders on Financial Crimes at Mercury.
- Become an expert on Mercury’s products and risks.
- Have 7+ years of work experience in Financial Crimes (AML / Sanctions), including transaction monitoring and/or financial investigations experience. 10+ years of work experience overall.
- Have 7+ years of people management experience (ICs + managers), ideally in Fintech, Risk, Compliance, Operations, or Trust & Safety.
- Be a strong analytical thinker - you are metrics-driven and results oriented.
- Possess deep knowledge of BSA/AML and sanctions laws, regulations, best practices and tools.
- Be an excellent collaborator and communicator - you can motivate your team, secure buy-in from leadership, and work effectively with all functions, including Eng, Support, Compliance, Product, and Data Science to drive outcomes.
- Be comfortable with decision making in a fast paced, ambiguous environment.
The total rewards package at Mercury includes base salary, equity (stock options), and benefits.
Our salary and equity ranges are highly competitive within the SaaS and fintech industry and are updated regularly using the most reliable compensation survey data for our industry. New hire offers are made based on a candidate’s experience, expertise, geographic location, and internal pay equity relative to peers.
Our target new hire base salary ranges for this role are the following:
- US employees in New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, or the San Francisco Bay Area: $194,900 - $229,300 USD
- US employees outside of New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, or the San Francisco Bay Area: $175,400 - $206,400 USD
- Canadian employees (any location): CAD $177,400 - $208,700