Head of Accounting and Finance
The Importance of this Role
As Head of Finance and Accounting, you will work closely with the CFO to assess current financial processes, controls, reporting and develop and execute a plan to support Matic in its next phase of hyper growth. Reporting into the CFO (who oversees five departments), this role serves as the de facto leader of the finance & accounting organization and would be responsible for leading financial planning and analysis, accounting, and financial reporting.
Additionally, you will work closely with the executive team to provide financial insights, support strategy, and decision making. This role provides incredible opportunity for career growth, including owning and growing the accounting and finance function of Matic, as well as taking both Matic and your career to the next level. The position will be based out of Matic’s Columbus, OH office.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for managing the day to day accounting and finance processes for the company.
- Manage monthly / quarterly / year-end closings, accounts receivable / payable, payroll, partner commission reporting, financial statement preparation, fixed assets, revenue recognition activities, cash management, and tax compliance.
- Lead all financial planning and analysis, including the development of the annual budget and re-forecasting as necessary, including reporting out on budget vs. actuals monthly.
- Develop policies and procedures for the financial activities of the company, including accounting workflows & related systems, internal controls, etc.
- Responsible for managing equity transactions, overall cap table management, and related documentation.
- Manage the annual audit process.
- Proactive review of changes in US GAAP and application to the company where applicable.
- Ensure compliance with government and regulatory reporting requirements including the Company’s local tax returns with assistance from external advisors.
- Interface with third party advisors (auditors, tax advisors).
What You Offer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field required
- 4+ years’ experience in corporate accounting / financial planning & analysis positions with a history of increasing leadership responsibility
- 4+ years’ experience at a Big Four firm
- CPA certification is a plus
- Experience managing and building teams
- Deep familiarity and expertise with financial modeling, including dynamic short term and long range plan models
- Equity accounting (Carta experience is a plus)
- Background with fast-paced close schedules
- Demonstrated ability to self-motivate and work under pressure
- Familiarity with the requirements of working in a venture capital backed company
- A proven ability to support growth and scale the accounting and finance function accordingly
- Prior experience with financial services, technology, or insurance is a strong plus
You should be able to
- Create standardized processes and controls that are scalable and repeatable, delivering timely and quality financial reporting to the business
- Balance the execution of individually contributing, managing, and assisting in developing the strategy of the accounting and finance function
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment with minimal structure and process
- Self-starter with a strategic approach who is comfortable implementing and championing process where required
- Analyze data, understand trends, and develop recommendations based on the analysis
- Support a culture of innovation, execution, collaboration, accountability, positivity and fun
What We Offer
- Career advancement - we have a culture that prioritizes internal promotion and career growth
- Matic Stock Options - all employees have ownership in Matic
- Flexible Paid Time Off - take off as much time as you need - we support work / life balance
- Medical, Dental & Vision insurance - Matic pays 100% for employees - $0 out of your paycheck for benefits!
- Health Savings Account (HSA) - with monthly $$ employer contribution
- 401(k) Retirement Plan Option
- Continuing education - licensing and professional development paid for by Matic.
- A TRUE team culture - One Team, One Dream is our company motto
- Frequent team events & activities - happy hours, charity events, game nights, volleyball/kickball teams, etc.
- Modern and casual office environment with various amenities - ping pong table, coffee/espresso bar, flavored water bar, etc.
Matic is a startup with ample opportunities for growth. Since 2014, Matic has changed the landscape of the InsurTech industry by embedding insurance within the home and auto ownership experience. Today, Matic’s digital insurance marketplace has over 45 home and auto carriers, as well as distribution partners in industries ranging from mortgage origination and servicing to banking, auto financing, and much more.
We hire rock stars who are passionate about owning their work and are obsessed with finding a better way. Working at Matic means working collaboratively towards one common goal…one team with one dream. We have a fast-paced culture that is driven by quality, transparency, and of course fun.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis now and in the future. This position does not offer sponsorship.