Senior Manager, Technical Accounting
Marqeta is on a mission to change the way money moves. We’re one of the earliest enablers of embedded finance, a market opportunity sized up in the trillions. Our card issuing platform provides unprecedented flexibility and control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions, and manage payment operations in real time. Marqeta is powering the most well known brands in the new economy (Block, Cash App, Affirm, Instacart, Doordash, Uber, Walmart, etc). Today nearly 8 out of 10 Americans use a product powered by Marqeta every week. This is the opportunity of a lifetime to work with innovators around the world and unlock equitable financial access for all.
Marqeta is seeking a Senior Manager Technical Accounting to capitalize on their deep understanding of technical accounting rules and U.S. GAAP, demonstrating a passion for perfection, to address all technical accounting matters. This includes leading the implementation of new SEC reporting rules and disclosures required under new FASB standards. This is a highly collaborative role, and you will participate in external and internal groups on SEC reporting topics. As the subject matter expert, you will maintain appropriate industry expertise and technical knowledge, you’ll research and communicate the impacts of new SEC rules to management.
We work Flexible First. This role can be performed remote within the United States or from our Oakland, CA headquarters. We’d love for you to join us!
What You’ll Do
- Lead and serve as a key subject matter expert in complex accounting topics such as revenue recognition, leases, capitalized software, stock based compensation, and financial statement preparation and review.
- Analyze technical accounting topics/transactions, present key findings to internal stakeholders, and document within accounting white papers.
- Operate as the technical accounting lead and go to resource for the company partnering cross functionally with the business, internal & external auditors and the SEC
- Assist with the design and operation of technical accounting related internal controls and SOX 404 compliance activities
- Coordinate the compilation and management of the Company’s accounting policies.
- Build strong relationships with various teams while leading important and complex accounting topics. (e.g. implementation of new accounting standards, business and M&A projects)
- Review and analyze new accounting pronouncements to determine the impact on the company and drive documentation and implementation of new standards.
- Work on special projects identified by the senior management and prepare accounting memos in support of technical accounting positions as required.
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- CPA with 10+ years of relevant experience
- Previous experience in a Technical Accounting role with solid understanding of US GAAP principles
- Work experience at a “Big 4” accounting firm
- Demonstrated ability to perform technical accounting research, write effective position papers, and communicate appropriate accounting treatment.
- Strong technical writing skills and experience in the implementation and handling of complex U.S. GAAP accounting matters with proven ability to research, clearly articulate, and document complex technical accounting issues.
- Extensive knowledge and application of SEC reporting requirements for U.S publicly traded companies. IFRS knowledge a plus.
- Public accounting experience, ideally with technology company clients in FinTech or SaaS based revenue.
- Application submission
- Recruiter call
- Hiring manager video call
- Virtual “Onsite” consisting of 4-5 45 min calls
Compensation and Benefits
Marqeta is a Flex First company which allows you to choose your best working environment, whether that be from home or at a company office. To support Flex First, we calibrate pay to a competitive value according to working location. Compensation is aligned according to three tiers within the United States:
- National: A baseline tier that applies to most of the geographic territory of the United States.
- Premium: Slightly elevated from the National tier, and oriented toward a narrower set of higher cost-of-living areas, such as Los Angeles CA and Seattle WA
- Premium Plus: A tier for the most expensive working areas, like the San Francisco Bay area and New York City.
Visit this page or consult with a Recruiter to determine which tier would be applicable to you.
When determining salaries, we consider several factors including, but not limited to, skills, prior experience, and work location. The new-hire base salary range for this position is:
- National: $124,650 - $166,200
- Premium: $140,250 - $187,000
- Premium Plus: $155,850 - $207,800
We also believe in recognizing the contributions of our people. That's why we award annual bonuses to eligible employees, rewarding both individual performance and the success of the entire company.
Along with monetary compensation, Marqeta offers
- Multiple health insurance options
- Flexible time off – take what you need
- Retirement savings program with company contribution
- Equity in a publicly-traded company and an Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Family-forming benefits, fertility support, and up to 20 weeks of Parental Leave
- Free therapy sessions, financial and professional coaching, and legal advice
- Monthly stipend to support our remote work model
- Annual “development dollars” to support our people growth and development
Equal Opportunity, Accommodations, and Privacy
Marqeta is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that gives consideration to all qualified applicants, irrespective of any characteristics protected by law. This includes (but is not limited to) race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, color, ancestry, and Veteran status. We consider qualified applicants from all backgrounds, without regard to criminal histories, in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion extends beyond the categories above. Review Marqeta’s ESG Report to see that dedication in action. Fostering an environment where everyone feels valued and respected creates a stronger and more innovative team at Marqeta. We celebrate the unique contributions of each individual and empower all members of our organization. Join us in building a company where diversity thrives and everyone can be their authentic selves.
If you require reasonable accommodation for the application process and beyond, please submit this form and we will be more than happy to assist you. Marqeta will make reasonable accommodations for candidates when needed in accordance with applicable law. The Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that you directly provide to us or that we collect during the application and candidate recruitment process.