Principal Software Engineer
Marqeta is on a mission to change the way money moves. Our open API card issuing platform provides unprecedented flexibility and control for industry-leading companies such as Square, Coinbase, J.P.Morgan, and Uber, to issue cards, authorize transactions, and manage payment operations in real time. Founded in 2010, Marqeta IPO’d in 2021 and has grown into a team of over 700 Marqetans in the US, UK and Canada.
Marqeta’s Risk & Fraud engineering team is one of the fastest-growing product lines and teams at Marqeta. We develop and maintain services that power three major product lines within the risk & fraud domain: Identity, 3DS and Realtime Decisioning. These products are the pillars of our RiskControl offering, a comprehensive end-to-end Risk & Fraud management platform. Riskcontrol serves our internal and enterprise risk management, AML, Sanction Screening in addition to consumer fraud management.
As a Principal Software Engineer on the Risk & Fraud team, you will help us scale our existing services and propose technical solutions that enable our ambitious growth plans. You will work across the different risk & data teams to build large-scale data infrastructures that enable cross-product solutions. You will own the technical roadmap for Risk and will work with each team to align with this roadmap. In addition, you will partner with other leaders to drive engineering and operational excellence throughout our organization.
We work Flexible First. This role can be performed remotely anywhere within the United States or from our Oakland, California office. We’d love for you to join us!
What You'll Do
- Create technical roadmaps, author designs, and spearhead the development of systems that enable the delivery of high-quality, scalable, secure, and operationally efficient risk management products to our customers
- Drive organization-wide technical changes through authoring designs, mentoring and guiding technical leads, influencing stakeholders, and establishing success metrics.
- Guide in capacity planning for our customers as we grow and scale.
- Collaborate with Product Managers to analyze product requirements and provide technical and functional recommendations accordingly.
- Raise the skill sets of those around you by mentoring other engineers on the team, drawing on your experience to provide thoughtful direction, writing excellent code, and providing detailed design and code reviews.
- Apply and evangelize modern best practices in your software designs and implementations to increase the platform's reliability, resiliency, and scalability.
What We're Looking For
- 15+ years of hands-on engineering experience
- Demonstrated passion for software engineering excellence, including design principles, fault tolerance practices, scalability, cost, security & privacy considerations, and test-driven development
- Experience partnering with product teams to ideate and bring innovative solutions to market
- Experience developing and scaling microservices using modern cloud technologies, preferably AWS
- Experience working with high volume / low latency data infrastructures
- Solid understanding of security engineering best practices and demonstrable experience in designing solutions that adhere to those standards
- Passion for non-functional challenges, namely: Scale, Cost, Reliability, Performance, High Availability
- Experience building systems running in multiple regions
- Team-oriented approach – can effectively lead a project, participate as an influential team member, and work cross-functionally with other organizations.
- Experience with our tech stack, namely Java, Springboot, Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm, Kafka and AWS services
- Master’s degree in Software Engineering
- Experience in the Risk & Fraud domain
- Experience in building, deploying, and maintaining ML models in production.
- Experience in the payments industry
Recruiter For This Role
Compensation and Benefits
- Flexible time off – take what you need
- Retirement savings program with company contribution
- Equity in a publicly-traded company and an Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Health insurance premiums paid 100% + coverage for dependents and pets
- Family-forming benefits, fertility support, and up to 20 weeks of Parental Leave
- Free therapy sessions, financial coaching, and legal advice
- Monthly stipend to support our hybrid work model
Equal Opportunity, Accommodations, and Privacy
Marqeta is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that gives consideration to all qualified applicants, irrespective of any characteristics protected by law. This includes (but is not limited to) race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, color, ancestry, and Veteran status. We consider qualified applicants from all backgrounds, without regard to criminal histories, in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion extends beyond the categories above. Review Marqeta’s ESG Report to see that dedication in action. Fostering an environment where everyone feels valued and respected creates a stronger and more innovative team at Marqeta. We celebrate the unique contributions of each individual and empower all members of our organization. Join us in building a company where diversity thrives and everyone can be their authentic selves.
If you require reasonable accommodation for the application process and beyond, please submit this form and we will be more than happy to assist you. Marqeta will make reasonable accommodations for candidates when needed in accordance with applicable law. The Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that you directly provide to us or that we collect during the application and candidate recruitment process.