Wilmington, DE, USA
Posted on Monday, May 8, 2023
Best Egg is a consumer financial technology platform that aims to help people feel more confident about their everyday finances through a suite of products and resources. Our digital financial platform offers simple, accessible, and personalized financial solutions including personal loans, credit cards, flexible rent product and a financial health resource center.
Our culture and values are one of the core reasons why our customers keep returning to Best Egg. We are committed to championing a culture of inclusiveness and diversity of thought, and we focus on providing a safe, flexible, and collaborative work environment. Our associates are encouraged to engage in creative problem solving, and we promote opportunities for growth and enrichment across the organization.
If you are inspired by inspiring others, Best Egg is the place for you.
Best Egg celebrates diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better we will grow.
The General Counsel will be the lead attorney for all legal and compliance matters impacting Marlette and its Best Egg brand and reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer/Chief Legal Officer. This management role will provide a unique opportunity to supervise more than a dozen attorneys and compliance professionals, partner with every department and senior executive across Marlette and be involved in and advise on all facets of the company as it continues to build and grow.
- Act as a strategic partner to drive Marlette’s growth agenda in all areas, including Marketing, Operations, Credit, Finance, Capital Markets, the Customer Experience, Litigation, Corporate Governance, Intellectual Property and Human Resources.
- Anticipate legal issues and risks, and provide counsel on complex, significant matters that cut across legal and business goals.
- Lead and oversee the provision of all legal services to ensure protection of Marlette’s legal rights in all respects.
- Support and advise senior leadership in building new products, programs, and services.
- Manage, set direction, guide, and advise an expert team of attorneys and compliance advisory, testing and examination professionals.
- With support from the Legal and Compliance teams, monitor and calibrate risks and opportunities arising from regulatory and litigation developments.
- Retain sufficient familiarity with relevant accounting principles and financing structures.
- Advise on the risks and opportunities related to strategic and growth initiatives.
- Engage, manage and coordinate with outside counsel as appropriate.
- Inspire the Legal and Compliance teams and business colleagues across the company to do the right thing for customers and employees, ethically and with integrity.
- Promote Best Egg’s values through leadership and by example.
- Always be prepared to pivot for the unexpected development, the fast-moving idea, and the creative solution.
- Direct engagements with leaders and reports in Wilmington, DE in hybrid working environment.
- 20+ years of relevant law firm and in-house experience in financial services, specifically consumer lending.
- J.D. from an accredited law school with strong academic credentials. Bar admission and in good standing in at least one state.
- Deep understanding of consumer and banking regulatory practices, structures and expectations, and the ability to work and communicate with federal officials as necessary.
- Proven ability to work with banking and other partners to reach successful outcomes on practical and regulatory issues.
- Knowledgeable in the full range of consumer lending and privacy laws, including UDAAP, ECOA, TILA, FDCPA, TCPA, FCRA and GLB/CCPA.
- Strong market knowledge and decision-making skills.
- Ability to build internal relationships with department heads, colleagues across the company and our banking partners.
- Experience managing a corporate department, including budgeting, resource allocations, identifying and onboarding key external vendors (including outside counsel), performance management, and employee training and professional growth.
- Develop people to meet both their career goals and the Company's goals.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Experience in working with consumer groups, politicians, and other constituencies to reach consensus on critical matters potentially impacting the company.
- Knowledgeable in capital markets structures, litigation management, intellectual property, [SEC requirements] and other matters that typically arise in a growing, fast-paced, start-up environment.
At Best Egg, we believe money should be accessible so people can reach their goals, live a fuller life, and feel pride in knowing they have taken control of their finances. For those who need extra money to achieve the progress they seek in life, Best Egg is the modern solution-minded finance provider that mixes decades of banking experience with smart technology and deep customer insight to create products designed for today’s borrower, so that people can establish a smoother financial path. The egg symbolizes protection and a fresh start.
Best Egg offers many additional benefits for our employees, including (but not limited to):
· Pre-tax and post-tax retirement savings plans with a competitive company matching
· Generous paid time-off plans including vacation, personal/sick time, paid short--
term and long-term disability leaves, paid parental leave, and paid company
· Multiple health care plans to choose from, including dental and vision options
· Flexible Spending Plans for Health Care, Dependent Care, and Health
· Company-paid benefits such as life insurance, wellness platforms, employee
assistance programs, and Health Advocate programs
· Other great discounted benefits include identity theft protection, pet insurance,
fitness center reimbursements, and many more!
In compliance with the CCPA, Best Egg is fully committed to handling the personal information and data of employees and job applications responsibly with respect and due care. Review our CCPA Employee Policy here
See more open positions at Marlette Funding
Something looks off?