Director of Engineering - Core Backend
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2023
Building the Future of Crypto
Our Krakenites are a world-class team with crypto conviction, united by our desire to discover and unlock the potential of crypto and blockchain technology.
What makes us different? Kraken is a mission-focused company rooted in crypto values. As a Krakenite, you’ll join us on our mission to accelerate the global adoption of crypto, so that everyone can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. For over a decade, Kraken’s focus on our mission and crypto ethos has attracted many of the most talented crypto experts in the world.
Before you apply, please read the Kraken Culture page to learn more about our internal culture, values, and mission.
As a fully remote company, we have Krakenites in 60+ countries who speak over 50 languages. Krakenites are industry pioneers who develop premium crypto products for experienced traders, institutions, and newcomers to the space. Kraken is committed to industry-leading security, crypto education, and world-class client support through our products like Kraken Pro, Kraken NFT, and Kraken Futures.
Become a Krakenite and build the future of crypto!
Proof of Work
Join our Core Backend Engineering team and have the opportunity to contribute to the ongoing transformation of the digital assets industry at Kraken. Our team plays a crucial role in developing the backend that supports the exchange. As a member of the Core Backend Engineering team, you will have the chance to collaborate with highly skilled Rust Engineers from around the world. We are enthusiastic about open source projects and continuously strive to explore the potential of Rust. Our collaborative work environment allows us to stay ahead in the ever-changing crypto landscape. The team has successfully completed the rewrite of core services from PHP to Rust, resulting in improved performance and security of our platform.
This role is destined for candidates based in a timezone in UTC±4.
- Manage, support, and mentor software engineering teams for their growth and development
- Contribute to our Engineering Excellence culture
- Collaborate with other departments like Product and Ops, and with the Kraken Leadership team
- Make strategic and tactical decisions to drive company success
- Demonstrate technical leadership, emphasizing clean architecture, performance, and reliability
Skills you HODL
- Advanced degree in computer science or equivalent professional experience
- Over a decade of software development experience, primarily in backend development
- Expertise in modern software architecture, API design, and event-driven systems, including web and mobile client application development
- Skilled at seamlessly shifting between merge request reviews, executive presentations, and coding as needed
- Maintains technical prowess at a Staff+ individual contributor level
- Charismatic leader with strong communication and business acumen, adept at stakeholder management and influencing without formal authority
- Proven track record as a successful engineering leader, with over five years of team leadership experience including more than two years of remote team management
- Enthusiastic about cryptocurrency's potential for positive transformation
- Passionate about software engineering, process improvement, and driving change
Nice to haves
- Industry experience with modern programming languages (OCaml, Rust, Kotlin) and with large scale, low-latency systems
- Prior experience in fintech / building software moving money
- Demonstrable interest in Rust and its applicability to contemporary tech challenges
Location Tagging: #EU #LI-LM1 #LI-Remote
Kraken is powered by people from around the world and we celebrate all Krakenites for their diverse talents, backgrounds, contributions and unique perspectives. We hire strictly based on merit, meaning we seek out the candidates with the right abilities, knowledge, and skills considered the most suitable for the job. We encourage you to apply for roles where you don't fully meet the listed requirements, especially if you're passionate or knowledgable about crypto!
As an equal opportunity employer, we don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Whether that’s based on race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws.
Stay in the know