Senior Core Infrastructure Engineer - Performance & Security
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2023
Building the Internet of Money
Our Krakenites are a world-class team with crypto conviction, united by our desire to discover and unlock the potential of crypto and blockchain technology.
What makes us different? Kraken is a mission-focused company rooted in crypto values. As a Krakenite, you’ll join us on our mission to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. For over a decade, Kraken’s focus on our mission and crypto ethos has attracted many of the most talented crypto experts in the world.
Before you apply, please read the Kraken Culture Explained to learn more about our internal culture, values, and mission.
As a fully remote company, we have Krakenites in 60+ countries who speak over 50 languages. Krakenites are industry pioneers who have a long track record of building premium products for professionals and institutions as well as newcomers to the space. Kraken is committed to industry-leading security through our products like Kraken Pro, Kraken NFT, and Cryptowatch, with a focus on world-class customer support and crypto education for all.
Become a Krakenite and build the internet of money!
Proof of work
Kraken is looking for an experienced Linux engineer to join our Infrastructure Performance and Security Team. In this role you will be focused on applying best security practices to our underlying infrastructure while using data driven strategies to performance tune multiple low-level exchange services. We are looking for an extremely strong communicator and team-player, who is able to break down large complex problems into smaller more manageable problems-to-solve. You will take the initiative to explore different ways to resolve an issue, and systematically find the most efficient and effective way to unblock yourself and other teams.
- Be responsible for managing the Linux kernel and operating systems for all our on-premise servers, both from a low-latency performance and security perspective.
- Tune and optimize both the Linux kernel, operating system and associated hardware.
- Work closely with the various SRE/Dev teams to ensure applications run optimally and securely.
- Automate everything from kernel builds and testing, to ‘at scale’ production deployments.
- Integrate kernel and operating system configuration with IaC tooling.
- Improve the current observability, monitoring and alerting associated to your areas of responsibility.
- Work on a common container platform that’s used by SRE/Dev teams.
- Provide architectural input and peer review across multiple teams and exchange services.
Skills you HODL
- 5+ years of experience working with Linux kernels and operating systems.
- Advanced knowledge of Linux, focussed on automation and performance tuning. Able to squeeze every bit of performance out of the servers our trading engine is running on!
- A deep understanding of security. You know your way around Linux kernels and how to tweak them to build extremely secure environments.
- Building automated performance benchmarking, leveraging CI/CD technologies.
- Knowledge of low-latency networking (Solarflare/Xilinx onload) and knowledge of the network protocols.
- Strong with scripting languages (Bash, Python)
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code tooling (Terraform/Kubernetes, Ansible/Salt)
- Experience with containerisation (Docker, KVM)
- CI/CD & toolchains (Gitlab, make, gcc)
- Experience with software-defined storage systems (Ceph, Gluster)
- Knowledge for Cloud Platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud.
Location Tagging: #EU #US #LI-Remote
Kraken is powered by people from around the world and we celebrate all Krakenites for their diverse talents, backgrounds, contributions and unique perspectives. We hire strictly based on merit, meaning we seek out the candidates with the right abilities, knowledge, and skills considered the most suitable for the job. We encourage you to apply for roles where you don't fully meet the listed requirements, especially if you're passionate or knowledgable about crypto!
As an equal opportunity employer, we don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Whether that’s based on race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws.
Stay in the know
See more open positions at Kraken
Something looks off?