Product Design Lead - Customer Experience
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
Kin is taking on the home insurance market with accelerated growth to help customers in climate affected states get affordable property insurance. We are a direct to customer business and customers are at the heart of everything we do. We are looking for a Lead Product Designer to join our growing design team and own our end-to-end customer experience to make buying property insurance online easy, seamless and informative.
In this role, you will be responsible for the end-to-end customer experience and work across product teams to ensure a smooth experience for our users. You will be managing a small design team, partner with brand, design system and research teams and collaborate with product managers and engineers through design jams and sprints to transform our customer experience. In a changing world affected by climate, you will be accountable for ensuring our customers have a best-in-class insurance experience.
A day in the life could include:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ideate, design, and prototype angle-changing products that push the boundaries of Kin’s customer experiences
- Take broad, conceptual ideas and turn them into meaningful experiences for our Kin customers that drive product strategy and business impact
- Design leading-edge concepts through the craft of end-to-end flows which impact broad sets of users at scale while using the appropriate prototyping tools
- Design new experiences or layouts that set the UX design standard at Kin and evolves our visual systems
- Play an active role in communicating strategic decisions around the future direction of Kin’s customer experiences
- Give and solicit feedback from a broader product team in order to continually raise our bar for quality
- Manage and mentor 1-2 designers within the customer experience team
- Lead a partnership with Product Managers, engineers, researchers, and data scientists to oversee the user experience of a product from conception to launch
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 8+ years of experience designing products for mobile and responsive web
- Work within a fast paced agile environment
- Facilitation skills to lead workshops and design sprints
- Professional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Growth mindset and willingness to absorb large amounts of information and complex context
- Experience showcasing your end-to-end design process across multiple projects, that include interaction and visual design artifacts, multiple iterations, high-fidelity prototypes, and consideration of the impact and scale of work
- Experience designing and launching impactful direct to consumer experiences
- Experience connecting your work with other industry-leading related initiatives across the company while driving collaboration and rooting design decisions in data and research insights
- Examples of leadership in non-product dimensions that have made a team stronger and positively impacted the work environment
- Bachelor's degree in design, HCI, cognitive science or equivalent experience
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.