VP, State Leader
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual for Kin’s VP, State Leader role. In this role, you will be accountable for the overall performance of our most mature states, starting with Florida and Louisiana. You will work side by side with the actuarial, underwriting, claims, finance, and operations team in driving strategic initiatives to help us grow profitability in these states. In order to execute on these changes, it will require a strong relationship with our engineering and tech product teams, and you will need to effectively help translate business requirements into technical solutions.
We are looking for individuals who have a passion for innovation and are eager to drive our business performance to new heights. Some examples of projects you may work on in this role are initiatives that aim to gain deeper insights into our competitive position, working with the data science team to identify and attract profitable customers, and implementing policy changes to mitigate losses and comply with legislative changes.
This role will also be accountable for the insurance operations of your respective states. This includes working with the insurance legal team to ensure compliance, meeting with state regulators on filings, and managing cross-functional initiatives between various departments (i.e. underwriting initiatives, pricing changes, marketing experiments, etc…).
In this role, you are both a “leader” and a “doer”, influencing teams across the organization based on analysis that you perform. You are highly analytical and self-motivated with experience solving complex problems. You’ll be able to analyze business issues and drive actions based on what you learn from the data.
A day in the life could include:
- Developing and driving state and product strategy and performance, and working cross-functionally with leaders in nearly every department to execute on that strategy, including Underwriting, Data Science, Marketing, Actuarial, Sales, Technology, Claims, and Finance
- Serving as a leader in coordinating profitability, growth, product fit, pricing adequacy, and compliance for your states
- Serving as an expert in the competitive landscape of your respective states, and driving initiatives leveraging this information; Leading analysis of the competitive environment, including market conditions, where competitors are writing, shifts in competitor underwriting appetite or coverages, how our pricing compares, and how we can use this information in driving our strategy
- Leveraging data & analysis and applying Kin’s commitment to analytical rigor and data-driven decision making to support proposed initiatives within your states
- Partnering with the finance team to set and monitor operational targets, and explain any variance against targets
- Coordinating compliance initiatives across various insurance teams
- Leading the product strategy and execution for your respective states, including researching and providing strategy recommendations for product changes in a state
- Building business cases to justify investments in innovation and other initiatives, including but not limited to, programs to help insured’s mitigate losses, initiatives to improve retention, etc…
- Reporting on the performance of your respective states and products to the executive leadership team, and others in the organization
- Serving as an insurance product subject matter expert to non-insurance teams within Kin
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 8+ years in strategic and/or analytical insurance roles, including, but not limited to, actuarial, product / line management, or underwriting
- Experience working with seasoned insurance experts, including including state regulators
- 3+ years managing a P&L for another insurance company
- 5+ years managing a team of direct reports
- Demonstrated strength working cross-functionally to deliver results
- Expertise motivating and managing teams without direct reporting relationships
- Data-obsessed mindset, including the ability drive actions based on analyses
- Demonstrated experience in developing & executing ideas across a wide range of domains
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.