Senior Financial Analyst
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
The Senior Financial Analyst is a high visibility position on the FP&A team focused on our Insurance Carriers and Management company financial results. You will partner with leaders across the organization to define and improve performance. Relying on your analytical and ambitious mentality, you will identify and build real solutions that will directly impact Kin’s growth and profitability. This role presents the unique opportunity to assist in building foundational financial processes, models, and reports that will allow us to grow and scale into the future.
The ideal candidate is data-focused, intellectually curious, growth-minded, and has exceptional relationship-building skills. They have a strong background knowledge of the insurance industry and experience improving financial reporting processes and optimizing insurance carrier results.
A day in the life could include:
- Build and regularly update operating models and financial forecasts, set annual budgets and operating plans, identify trends and variances against organizational goals
- Use robust analytical skills to drive deeper insights into insurance Carrier loss and loss adjusted expense trends, highlighting areas of opportunity across business functions and recommending solutions to drive improved performance
- Prepare monthly/quarterly financial results analyses for executives and board presentations
- Provide accurate, timely reports with compelling financial insights and work with business partners to drive growth and efficiency
- Build financial models to evaluate reinsurance arrangements, identify optimal structure and drive efficient capital planning for insurance Carriers
- Assist in fundraising due diligence efforts and interact with prospective investors
- Develop data-driven competitive analysis to inform leadership of industry dynamics
- Strategize with leadership on improving processes through cost-benefit analysis of investments in new vendors, platforms, or processes
- Assist in identifying and implementing future financial system and process enhancements/investments
- Recommend and implement changes to increase the accuracy, effectiveness, and efficiency of models and reports used or produced by the team
- Lead ad hoc financial modeling and analysis for special projects
- Frequently interact and collaborate with other departments to address business issues, meet organizational objectives, and facilitate collaboration
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 3+ years of work experience in Finance/FP&A function within a P&C insurance company, or Investment Banking or Audit Accounting covering P&C insurance industry
- Four year degree, with concentration in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or similarly analytical area
- Advanced proficiency in financial modeling and Microsoft Excel required
- Knowledge of GAAP and preferably statutory accounting practices
- Working knowledge of SQL, Looker, or other data management and reporting tools preferred
- Highly motivated and natural self-starter, independent thinker, and team player
- Creative problem-solver with strong quantitative skills that can spot patterns, trends, and opportunities in data and proactively seek process improvement opportunities
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.
Something looks off?