VP, Product Design
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
Kin’s is reimaging home insurance. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same. Because of our technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change.
Our product and design leaders are critical drivers of our technology innovation, and our direct-to-consumer model. We are deeply focused on understanding our operations, customers and competitors. We use this insight to drive core product strategy.
As Head of Design, you will own our design vision and design strategy. You will recruit an elite team of researchers and designers to operationalize your vision while enabling Kin’s mission. You will also be the voice of the customer and champion design thinking. You will need to work collaboratively with a wide array of stakeholders to incorporate design thinking and customer focus in everything we do.
A day in the life could include:
- Partner with leadership in operations, marketing, product management and engineering to co-create and socialize Kin’s design vision, strategy, and principles.
- Own and champion the end-to-end customer experience across all steps in the value chain. Drive enhancements to customer experience and ensure those ideas are created and implemented with consistent UI and UX.
- Collaboratively lead the design aspects of ideation, development, testing and evaluation of new products, and prototypes.
- As a senior leader, you will be responsible for nurturing career goals for each team member, maximize team growth and collaboration, serve as a mentor, and promote and foster additional skills of each team member
- Proactively performing customer discovery to identify customer pain points and opportunity areas
- Owning and maintaining Kin UI patterns and design systems across all touch points
- Establishing KPIs for defining the relationship with customers
- Be the ultimate advocate for the customer
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 10+ years of successful product design leadership experience working for hyper growth D2C financial services companies
- Experience scaling and structuring a multi-level team, with experience managing managers.
- Deep understanding and experience of design research, customer segmentation, and competitive teardowns.
- Experience successfully launching and scaling new Fintech or Insurtech products
- Proven positive leadership skills and raising the creative bar for our team
- Excellent project management and communication skills
- Experience partnering with Product Managers, Engineering, and Commercial leadership to design and deliver industry-leading products.
- Strong knowledge of various design tech and software and ability to conceptualize and deliver new approaches to design
- A great eye for detail and design skill set to match
- Experience in various user testing methodologies to empathize with current and future customers
- Experience advocating the "voice of the customer" within a growing organization
- Ability to identify and create the right fidelity of design for the right stage of product development, including prototypes
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment where priorities change quickly
- Experience making complex and data-heavy products simple and delightful to use
- Fintech, insurtech, or P&C insurance experience is a plus
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.
Something looks off?