VP Cloud Operations
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
We welcome people from all backgrounds who are driven by a passion of creating great engineering teams and awesome products that users love. As VP Cloud Operations, you will lead multiple teams as we build and rethink software and technology for the home insurance industry. As a leader, we’ll rely on you to build and deliver high performing technical teams through hiring, coaching, and mentoring. This is a broad role and includes managing infrastructure, corporate IT, security, site reliability & quality engineering. Our unicorn candidate will have a tech-forward mindset with experience in infrastructure automation, operations, observability and improving the SDLC ecosystem for product engineering.
A day in the life could include:
- Collaboratively work with the engineering teams to plan,design and deploy infrastructure and applications in cloud environments. Enable self-service infrastructure management.
- Enabling product engineering teams to be more productive. Reducing friction, champion greater collaboration and remove barriers to productivity.
- Demonstrate thought leadership on cloud computing, data/data science infrastructure and COTS solutions in the space.
- Laying out processes to reduce/eliminate downtime and improve scalability and reliability. Implementing a problem management process with a cohesive observability strategy.
- Cloud & data are a big part of our expense base. You will put in controls and processes to monitor and reduce costs on an ongoing basis.
- Security will roll up under this function. Exposure to running security teams and creating a security program is a plus.
- Thinking about how DevOps can improve developer productivity. Collaborating on our Data infrastructure and ML run time.
- Have experience with product development and passion to improve quality engineering, release management and improve engineering productivity.
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- We expect every leader to have a strong vision. We want you to paint a vivid picture of the future of engineering. How does infrastructure as a service evolve? How do releases become smoother? How do we lower risk? Lower costs? There are an endless number of things, and we want you to tell us where you will lead this team. And why the team should be excited to have you!
- Minimum 12+ years of relevant experience building and supporting application platforms or infrastructure.
- Strong understanding of cloud infrastructure & data technologies on AWS. Passion to build self-service systems. Understanding of data science infrastructure needs is a plus.
- Hands-on experience in developing scripts using Shell/Python/Ruby/Powershell etc - although we don’t expect you to code!
- Proficient in containerization technologies such as Docker, ECS, etc
- Hands on experience in configuration/orchestration tools such as Ansible, Terraform etc
- Should have experience in build & release management using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Maven, Ant, Github, Bitbucket etc
- Experience Network and application security. Developing and creating a security program/team is a plus.
- Working with offshore / distributed team is a plus
- Above all the skills, we value your attitude, leadership and ownership mindset. We value collaboration, determination and a business oriented approach.
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.
Something looks off?