Staff Software Engineer, Frontend Tech
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
As a Staff Software Engineer at Justworks, you will leverage your demonstrated ability to own and lead the implementation of features in large-scale, distributed applications to support the long term growth of Justworks. You understand the concept of “separation of concerns” at multiple levels, and have leveraged design patterns to solve technical challenges. You spend significant amounts of time directly assisting and leveling up other engineers. You look for signal in the noise, and can detect and resolve issues before they become problems. As a frontend-focused staff engineer, you will leverage your expertise and experience in frontend technology in engineering-wide decision making.
You will represent the multi-team Payment & Tax Unit (PTU) in front-end working groups, while being assigned to the Accountant Experience vertical within PTU. As a staff engineer, a large part of your responsibilities include coordinating and participating in engineering efforts across teams, including scalability, performance, and modularization efforts. Cross-team (and cross-organization) efforts are particularly important for the Accountant Experience vertical, as our objectives often require data or functionality sourced from anywhere, or provided to any team. We often say “accounting is everywhere.” Our teams are cross-functional (not only engineering, product, design, and product marketing, but also business and operations along with other supporting roles), and you will report directly to a senior manager with a cross-team scope.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Work collaboratively with other engineers, product managers, designers, and other stakeholders to build features and functionality that our customers use directly, typically in an iterative fashion taking into account user feedback. For the Accountant Experience vertical, our customers are typically accountants, bookkeepers, financial admins, etc.
- As part of a broad staff engineering group, scope, architect, and lead frontend initiatives that benefit multiple teams including improvements in our platform, standards, tooling, and processes
- Drive sound technical decision-making and lead technical conversations with other teams across Justworks
- Work across different applications and code bases
- Own the backlog of tech investments and technical KPIs for the vertical
- Keep our code healthy, follow good practices, and improve engineering standards by being a role model and teaching and motivating other engineers to do the same
- Mentor engineers to help them grow their technical skills by fostering a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Staff Software Engineer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 8 years of professional hands-on experience in software engineering on the frontend
- Strong systems architecture skills and experience working with multiple, interconnected systems and their UIs at scale
- Experience leading and mentoring engineers without formal direct reporting relationships
- Experience proactively collaborating across different engineering teams and advocating for teams’ needs
- Experience working using Agile/Scrum methodology in a fast-paced environment
- You are comfortable and motivated working with ambiguity (you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done)
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design, and their practical applications
- Experience in React and comparable frameworks; with experience using various methods to handle state, contexts, etc. ( we expect staff candidates to leverage a diverse skill set beyond these tools)
Primary Technologies Used
- AWS, Git, ElasticSearch, Docker, CircleCI, DataDog
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $220,000.00 to $253,000.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.