Director of Engineering, New Products/Global Payments
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Justworks is seeking a Director of Engineering for our New Products/International team that will focus on Global Payments and Payroll while leading our dynamic and innovative engineering team. This individual will play a critical role in building, scaling, and maintaining the technology infrastructure that powers our global payroll and payments systems. As the Director of Engineering, you will work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to ensure the highest standards of quality and compliance are upheld while driving continuous improvement and innovation.
Getting payments and payroll right, especially on a global scale, is integral to the livelihoods of small businesses and their employees. It's not just about processing numbers; it's about ensuring that employees are paid accurately and on time, that taxes and compliance are handled seamlessly, and that businesses can focus on their core operations without worrying about payroll-related issues. The Director of Engineering, Global Payments and Payroll, plays a critical role in enabling this by developing and maintaining systems that operate flawlessly, while also being ready for future growth. This role demands a leader who can build a team and help architect solutions that provide real-time, error-free money movement and payroll processing on a global scale which is paramount in fulfilling our commitment to small businesses and their employees, both today and in the future.
We expect the size of this group will grow significantly over time and this is a mission critical role.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
Your mission is to bring forward-thinking strategies and execute them to the most critical areas of the Justworks’s future.
- Leadership: Provide strong leadership, mentorship, and guidance to the engineering team responsible for global payments and payroll systems. Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous delivery and improvement.
- Technical Strategy: Define and drive the technical strategy and roadmap for global payments and payroll systems, ensuring alignment with business objectives and scalability for future growth. Help define and communicate technical standards and best practices.
- Execution: Oversee the development and maintenance of mission-critical software components, systems, and services related to global payroll and payments, ensuring robustness, security, and reliability.
- Enhance our testing, monitoring and continuous deployment infrastructure.
- Global Payment Systems Leadership: Provide strategic direction and leadership for the development and maintenance of global payment systems, ensuring accurate and timely disbursements for employees and tax authorities across different countries.
- Compliance: Ensure that the payroll and payments systems are in compliance with local and global regulations, working closely with compliance and legal teams to address regulatory changes promptly.
- Cross-functional Collaboration: Collaborate with the business, product managers, designers, and other engineering teams to define product requirements, set priorities, and deliver high-quality features and enhancements.
- Partner closely with stakeholders and partners to improve efficiency of how we deliver product.
- Work with business operation leaders to establish data engineering strategies to make us a strong data driven organization.
- Team Development: Build and develop a world-class engineering team by hiring top talent, setting clear expectations, and providing ongoing coaching and feedback.
- Innovation: Identify opportunities for process improvement, automation, and innovation in global payroll and payment processing, streamlining operations and enhancing customer experience.
- Data Security: Maintain the highest standards of data security and privacy to safeguard sensitive payroll and payment information.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Director of Engineering, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. Read more about our values here.
- Proven leadership experience in developing and managing high-performing engineering teams, with a minimum of 8 years in a software engineering leadership role.
- Extensive experience in developing and maintaining payroll and/or payment processing systems, ideally within a global context.
- Demonstrated expertise in software architecture, design, and development.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively in a collaborative, cross-functional, globally dispersed environment.
- You are comfortable working with business and product partners in an agile environment.
- You are experienced in scaling a technology organization and growing teams.
- You have a deep empathy for customers, especially small business, and for your coworkers.
- You are not afraid of making changes but you do it thoughtfully.
- You have a gut feeling and vision but you also rely on data to back it up.
- You strive to learn new things and raise your own bar.
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $250,000.00 to $270,000.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.