Senior Software Engineer (Frontend), Payroll & Tax
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Justworks’ Payroll & Tax Technology team is hiring a Senior Software Engineer (Frontend) to help model the complex world of payroll and taxation in fast, accurate, and scalable software. Payroll is an essential function of any business, and the demands of accurately calculating and reporting taxes are a lot to take on. We simplify payroll tax compliance so that our customers can focus on what they do best.
As a Senior Frontend Engineer, you’ll be focused on our payroll and tax applications, building experiences that power core products of the Justworks platform. You will take ownership in technical decision-making on a mission-critical team, working closely with our product and design counterparts and operations stakeholders to ensure that we are enabling the Payments and Tax Unit to scale its operations efficiently. We’re looking for people passionate about solving real-world problems and with strong product sensibilities to build delightful user interfaces and experiences.
What You Will Work On
- Build, test, and maintain API-driven UIs that enable Justworks customers to make payroll and compute, withhold, and report their taxes
- Break down complex workflows into easy-to-use experiences, incorporating our shared component library wherever possible
- Scale and improve the frontend performance of mission-critical workflows for internal and external stakeholders
- Take an active role in project planning, including translating product requirements into deliverable pieces and sequencing them in a manner that brings incremental value to the business
- Develop deep subject matter expertise in payroll and payroll taxation to help enhance the platform experience for internal and external stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with engineers, product managers, designers, and stakeholders to find solutions to customer challenges and bring new products and features to our customers
- Troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve issues quickly and effectively when they arise
- Help define, document, evolve, and evangelize high engineering standards and best practices across multiple areas
- Channel empathy for our internal stakeholders to create better user experiences to make workflows more manageable and more efficient
- Promote engineering excellence through technical leadership, knowledge-sharing and mentorship
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience working as a frontend software engineer on production code
- Entrepreneurial mindset and a fundamental belief that building new products is an iterative journey
- Has the attention to detail necessary to craft great user experiences and knows how to balance simplicity and power users’ needs
- Understanding of how to build resilient and maintainable systems in complicated business domains at scale
- Experience supporting other engineers and acting as a “tech lead”
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done and setting appropriate deadlines and milestones to achieve business objectives
- Thrives in a collaborative environment where the best ideas win and can get behind them to achieve the desired outcome
- Has the ability to distill complicated problems into simple solutions and architectures; possesses sound judgment to select the right tools for the job
- Experience working using Agile/Scrum methodology in a fast-paced environment, collaborating with multiple agile teams to help deliver end-to-end products and features, seeing them through from conception to delivery
- Be uncompromising in your path to the delivery of beautiful UI/UX experiences
- Experience in a high-growth environment working with deadlines and milestones
- Experience with React and SCSS
- Experience working with shared component libraries
- Experience working in containerized environments
- Experience as a key contributor on a team building new, greenfield products from the ground up
- Node / NPM
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $167,500.00 to $205,000.00 per year.
#LI-AD1 #LI-Hybrid #LI-JS1
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.