Engineering Manager, New Products
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Not only do you have the broad extensive knowledge of core web development technologies in distributed environments, but you also have a high level of empathy and interpersonal skills to work cross-functionally in an organization. You can grasp and communicate complex concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences. Being able to see the bigger picture, you bring people together to prioritize, craft, and achieve plans.
As an Engineering Manager at Justworks, you will oversee a diverse and enthusiastic team of Software Engineers and work closely with Designers and Product Managers. You are responsible for coordinating projects, prioritization, and engineers to create and maintain features for our customers. This role requires a strong technical background and a passion for mentoring and growing teams.
The International team’s mission is to expand our customer’s access to talent across the globe. Being part of a Justworks Labs initiative means we primarily focused on delivering payments solutions that prove viability in a zero-to-one environment. You will need to balance “compliance and auditability” with a “build to learn” mindset to help us safely and confidently enable new international payroll and money movement systems. As a member of this team you’ll draw on your experience delivering outcomes with the utmost pragmatism to help us continuously iterate and minimize risk. We are an enthusiastic and diverse bunch who strives for excellence.
Some other things we value in our teammates include:
- Having a founder’s mindset with a motivation to build and scale a team, set standards, and be a mentor
- Emphasizing finding the right answer ahead of any one person being the one who was right
- Thinking of “value” in terms of what we can deliver to the customer
- Framing problems or opportunities in terms of outcomes rather than outputs
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Work with the Engineers, Designers, and Product Managers to prioritize, schedule and execute projects so we can quickly develop and ship new features
- Partner with Product to define and execute the team’s long-term strategy and quarterly roadmap, including setting goals and measuring progress/success towards them
- Communicate and coordinate with other teams (in and outside of engineering) to understand the requirements and opportunities for improvement
- Mentor engineers to help them grow their technical skills by fostering a culture of technical excellence, innovation and continuous learning
- Provide guidance, both technical and non-technical, to direct reports
- Attract, hire, develop, and retain a high-performing team of engineers
- Help drive sound technical decision-making and lead technical conversations with other teams across Justworks
- Instill a sense of empathy in the team for our internal stakeholders to create better user experiences
- Attention to detail in the interest of giving our customers confidence that their money is moving across borders safely, timely, and accurately
- Performs other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As an Engineering Manager, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS, which you can read more about here.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience managing a team of engineers
- Previous experience building software that enables money movement (for example payment systems or payroll systems) is most preferred
- 8+ years of experience as a software engineer working on production web applications
- Demonstrable experience prioritizing, crafting, and achieving plans
- Strong communication skills with ability to grasp and explain complex concepts to both technical and non-technical people
- High levels of empathy and interpersonal skills
- Solid understanding of core web development technologies. i.e. Data structures, data stores, algorithms, distributed systems and common patterns around these frameworks
- CircleCI, DataDog, AWS, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Docker, InfluxDB, Redshift, Jenkins, Nagios
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $205,000.00 to $225,500.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.