Vice President, Core Engineering
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Justworks is heading in a direction where software development will reside in every part of the company, unleashing the potential of the parts and the whole, giving every team access to best-in-class tools. To realize this vision, Justworks technology has grown nearly four times over the last 3 years. With such growth, our technology stack, org structure, and team mission have all grown significantly into multiple units and product lines, and we need a leader who can embody the mission of Justworks, COGIS value and raise the bar of the core engineering team that drives the significant part of the Justworks business.
As Vice President of Core Engineering, you will report to and work closely with the Senior Vice President of Engineering. You will be a key collaborator with the product and design sectors of the core product, whilst also forming close working relationships with other senior technology leaders within the company. Justworks has over 250 engineers total across the company and is growing rapidly.
Your primary responsibility will involve formulating and delivering the core technology platform strategy that boosts our product development and fuels the rapid introduction of new innovations. In addition, you will be at the helm of defining and elevating our engineering methodologies and people practices, playing a critical role in shaping Justworks’ engineering culture for the foreseeable future.
Your role will be to foster an environment of innovation rooted in a solid and mature technology strategy, the best industry practices, and talent development. Furthermore, you will play a vital role in attracting and retaining top-tier talent.
What You Will Work On
- Partner with other technology leads and unify core technology teams around Justworks' mission, business growth goals, and strategic initiatives.
- Develop and execute Justworks' broad technology platform vision and strategy to accelerate product innovation.
- Lead all aspects of software development with a balance of long-term vision and short-term goals.
- Foster innovation in engineering solutions to ensure our technology meets the fast-paced demands of a competitive environment.
- Incorporate forward-thinking tooling and solutions with a high level of execution to advance our technology.
- Collaborate closely with the head of infrastructure to ensure the resiliency of our core platform.
- Responsible for the delivery of core platform teams.
- Partner with peers to ensure the successful delivery of programs and projects.
- Measure and drive delivery performance with quality and reliability as a core tenet.
- Create a highly effective and easy-to-use developer experience.
- Attract and retain world-class talent, building a high-performing organization.
- Create and foster an engineering culture that centers around business goal alignment, customer centricity, and company values.
- Cultivate an environment where people can do their best work, develop deep subject matter expertise, and grow their leadership skills.
The VP of Core Engineering will remain at the forefront of industry innovation, focusing on delivering value across each product offering during this exciting period of growth. We seek an entrepreneurial, business-savvy technology executive who thrives in autonomous, high-integrity environments. The Justworks team is diverse, equitable, and inclusive, with a shared sense of belonging, vision, and purpose.
How You Will Do Your Work
As the VP of Core Engineering, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately results in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Customer Focus - builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
- Influence and Leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Teamwork and Communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Nimble Learning - actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Business Insight - applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- You have 10+ years combined experience and have led a large (>100) engineering organization, experience in matrixed organizations a plus.
- You have a root as a software engineer.
- You have proven experience transforming a monolithic application into a robust service architecture.
- You have a deep empathy for customers, especially small business, and for your coworkers.
- You are comfortable working with business and product partners in an agile environment.
- You have developed a strategy to develop talents and created high performance culture.
- You are not afraid of making changes but you do it thoughtfully.
- You have a gut feeling and vision but you also rely on data to back it up.
- You can talk about systems architecture and software development concepts from experience.
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $275,000.00 to $330,000.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.