Senior Software Engineer, Payroll & Tax
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Our Payroll & Tax Technology team is hiring a Senior Software Engineer to help model the complex world of payroll and payroll taxation in software that is fast, accurate, and scalable. Payroll is an essential function of any business, and the demands of accurately calculating and reporting taxes are a lot to take on. We simplify payroll compliance so that our customers can focus on what they do best.
As a backend engineer, you’ll focus on building the payroll and payroll taxation services that power Justworks’ payroll and taxation products. You will take ownership in technical decision-making on a mission-critical team and work closely with our stakeholders to ensure that we are enabling the Payments and Tax Unit to scale its operations. We’re looking for people that have a passion for solving real-world problems and strong engineering fundamentals to solve them.
What You Will Work On
- Design, build, and maintain services and APIs that power tax computation, withholding, and reporting for Justworks customers
- Scale and improve performance of mission-critical systems that require a high degree of accuracy
- Take an active role in project planning, including translating product requirements into deliverable pieces and sequencing them in a manner that brings value to the business
- Develop deep subject matter expertise in payroll taxation so that our engineering and operations stakeholders don’t have to
- Work collaboratively with engineers, product managers, and stakeholders to bring new products and features to our customers
- Channel empathy for our internal stakeholders to create better user experiences with an eye towards making workflows easier and more efficient
- Promote engineering excellence through technical leadership, knowledge-sharing and mentorship
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- 5+ years real-world experience working as a software engineer on production code, with a focus in backend and API development
- Advance knowledge of a server-side language such as Ruby, Python, or Node
- Fluency in at least one SQL dialect and experience in relational database schema design
- Understanding of how to build resilient and maintainable systems in complicated business domains at scale
- Comfortable proactively identifying tasks and strategically establishing deadlines and milestones to drive the achievement of business objectives
- Thrives in a collaborative environment that fosters the exchange of diverse ideas and values the collective effort to achieve common outcomes
- The ability to distill simple solutions and architectures out of complicated problems and good judgment to select the right tools for the job
- Ruby / Ruby on Rails / Sorbet
- MySQL / PostgreSQL / Redshift
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $167,500.00 to $205,000.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.