Engineering Manager, Payments
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Our Payments team is hiring an Engineering Manager to scale and launch fast and accurate APIs and SaaS products as Justworks’ fintech functions evolve. Money-movement is an essential element of payroll—a core requirement of any business—and the demands of accurately calculating and reporting all of its financial transactions are a lot to take on. We simplify payments and money-movement so that our customers can focus on what they do best.
As Engineering Manager, you'll lead the team that owns the core backend service powering all money-movement at Justworks. You will lead technical decision making on a mission critical team and be expected to take initiative in identifying projects that will enable us to meet business goals. We’re looking for people that have a passion for solving real-world problems and will thrive building a growing team.
What You Will Work On
- Lead the development process and delivery of mission-critical systems that power money-movement for Justworks internal and external customers
- Collaborate with the team to push our foundational payments infrastructure forward, taking an active, hands-on role in guiding the team as we scale
- Partner with Product to define and execute the team’s long-term strategy and quarterly roadmap, including setting goals and measuring progress/success towards them
- Work cross functionally with teams (within engineering and across Justworks) to understand the requirements and opportunities for improvement
- Mentor engineers to help them grow their technical skills by fostering a culture of technical excellence, innovation, and continuous learning
- Define and implement engineering best practices and processes to improve team efficiency and productivity
- Conduct code reviews, identify and resolve technical issues, and ensure code quality and scalability
- Attract, hire, and retain high-caliber engineers
- Develop deep subject matter expertise in payments and money-movement so that our customers and internal operations stakeholders don’t have to
- Help drive sound technical decision-making and lead technical conversations with other teams across Justworks
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As an Engineering Manager, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- 8+ years of experience in a Software Engineering role, with a focus on backend and API development
- Minimum of 2 years of experience managing or leading a team of engineers that have delivered and supported mission-critical software
- Advanced knowledge of a server-side language such as Ruby or Python.
- Fluency in at least one SQL dialect and experience in relational database schema design
- Strong communication skills with the ability to grasp and explain complex concepts to both technical and non-technical people
- Understanding of how to build resilient and maintainable systems in complicated business domains at scale
- Comfortable with ambiguity: you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done and setting appropriate deadlines and milestones to advance business objectives
- Ability to strike the right balance between competing product and engineering priorities to ensure the team delivers the right value to our customers
- Thrives in a collaborative environment where the best ideas win and can lead the team to get behind them to achieve the desired outcome
- Fosters an engineering culture that distills simple solutions out of complicated problems and uses good judgment to select the right tools for the job
- Track record of recruiting and retaining world-class engineers necessary to build high-performing engineering teams.
- High levels of empathy and interpersonal skills
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience in FinTech, banking, accounting, or other similar industries
- Ruby / Ruby on Rails / Sorbet / Python
- Docker, K8s, CircleCI
- MySQL / PostgreSQL / Snowflake
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $205,000.00 to $220,000.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.