Director, Payroll & Tax Operations
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
As Justworks’ Director, Payroll & Tax Operations you will be responsible for all aspects of payroll and payroll tax operations for our PEO. You will lead a team of payroll specialists, ensuring the accurate and timely execution of payroll activities, tax payments and reporting, while maintaining compliance with federal, state, and local tax regulations. You will be the leading expert in this area and have a deep understanding of payroll processes, tax laws, and a commitment to delivering exceptional service to our clients. You are able to manage high pressure situations with ease and a great demeanor. You are passionate about developing a team of experts, while utilizing your own expertise to ensure Justworks adheres to best practices for timely and accurate payroll functions.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Lead and develop a high-performing, efficient, and dedicated payroll team that manages daily payroll adjustments, payroll tax processing, garnishments, accurate tax withholding and remittance, and provides internal payroll tax guidance to multiple departments
- Ensure accurate quarter and year end processing included but not limited to federal, state and local tax reconciliations, W-2 and 1099 issuance
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and development to the existing team of payroll tax professionals
- Stay updated on federal, state, and local tax laws and regulations to ensure compliance
- Address payroll tax inquiries and issues, collaborating with federal, state and local tax authorities as necessary about tax notices or tax audits for taxes
- Serve as the escalation point of contact for clients and provide exceptional customer service regarding complex payroll and tax-related matters
- Continuously evaluate, implement best practices, streamline operations and enhance payroll and tax processes for efficiency and accuracy
- Support internal control compliance initiatives, testing and remediation; ensure that payroll tax processes and procedures are updated
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Director, Payroll Tax, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
Strategic Mindset - Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategiesDrives Vision and Purpose - Painting a compelling picture of the vision and strategy that motivates others to action; effectively commands a room and proactively shares challenges and successes through storytelling
- Builds Networks - Effectively building diverse formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization
Attracts Top Talent - Attracting and selecting the best diverse talent to meet current and future business needs
- Cultivates Innovation - Inspires creativity and curiosity, pushes beyond comfort zone, prioritizes learning & development for self and team
- Adaptability - The ability to adjust your approach or actions in response in an inclusive manner to changes in your external environment.
- Develops Talent - Develops people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals through effective
- performance management, candid feedback and coaching conversations
Consultative - takes an approach that focuses on building relationships with others, understanding their problems, and developing solutions to their challenges through open-ended questions and active listening.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- 10+ years of experience in payroll and payroll tax operations, preferably in a PEO or HR outsourcing environment
- Relevant professional certifications (e.g., Certified Payroll Professional - CPP, Certified Public Accountant - CPA) would be a significant advantage
- 7+ years of experience with managing teams, 4+ years of experience managing managers of teams
- Strong knowledge of federal, state, and local payroll tax regulations and laws, including multi-state tax compliance
- Strong experience in using payroll software and platforms (e.g., MasterTax) to generate reports, prepare and file payroll taxes (electronically where applicable) for federal, state and local agencies
- Advanced Excel skills, including the ability to create complex spreadsheets and perform data analysis
- Possess client-facing skills to provide excellent customer service and address client inquiries and concerns
- Strong interpersonal and team-building skills with the ability to motivate and guide a diverse group of payroll professionals
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $198,000.00 to $237,600.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.