Staff Software Engineer, Payroll & Tax
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Our Payroll and Tax team is hiring a Staff Software Engineer to help model the complex world of payroll and taxation in software that is fast, accurate, and scalable. Payroll is an essential function of any business, and the demands of accurately calculating and reporting taxes are a lot to take on. We simplify payroll compliance so that our customers can focus on what they do best.
As Staff Software Engineer, you’ll be focused on ensuring we evolve our architecture for the computation layer that powers Justworks’ payroll and taxation products. You will lead technical decision making on a mission critical team and be expected to take initiative in identifying projects that will enable us to meet business goals. We’re looking for people that have a passion for solving real-world problems and will thrive building a growing team.
What You Will Work On
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, services, and systems that power tax computation, withholding, and reporting for Justworks customers
- Build reliable and resilient integrations with external systems for reporting taxes to federal/state/local tax agencies
- Scope and lead large technical projects with impact across mission critical teams in Payments and Tax
- Work collaboratively with engineers, product managers, and stakeholders to bring new products and features to our customers
- Channel empathy for our internal stakeholders to create better user experiences with an eye towards making workflows easier and more efficient
- Build robust abstractions that are easy for other engineers to use and shield the appropriate level of complexity
- Mentor engineers to help them grow their technical skills by fostering a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Serve as a role model for and work towards improving engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Help drive sound technical decision-making and lead technical conversations with other teams across Justworks
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Staff Software Engineer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- A strong technical background, with 10+ years of professional experience, in backend and API development
- 3+ years of experience in a Staff Software Engineer or technical leadership role
- Expert knowledge of a server-side language such as Ruby, Python, or Node
- Fluency in at least one SQL dialect and experience in relational database schema design
- Track record of building resilient and maintainable systems in complicated business domains at scale
- Previous experience leading engineers without formal direct reporting relationships and ability to set technical direction
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done and setting appropriate deadlines and milestones to achieve business objectives
- Thrives in a collaborative environment where the best ideas win and can inspire others to get behind them
- The ability to distill simple solutions and architectures out of complicated problems and good judgment to select the right tools for the job
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with Rust or other compiled programming languages
- Experience in FinTech, banking, accounting, or other similar industries.
- Ruby / Ruby on Rails / Sorbet
- MySQL / PostgreSQL / Redshift
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $220,000.00 to $253,000.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.