Senior Software Engineer, Platform Services
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Are you passionate about design and development? Do you have experience building, deploying, and maintaining large-scale applications and consistent, user-friendly experiences? Are you eager to learn and passionate about improvement across multiple dimensions - in code, practices, processes, people, and customers? Are you ready to take your skills to the next level and join a team of innovative self-starters in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment?
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Create tools that promote modernized UI development
- Implement product-oriented platform services that help modularize and enable our domain teams
- Collaborate with various teams to find solutions to customer challenges, both internal and external
- Take ownership of designing and developing functionality that is exposed via web and mobile applications
- Promote engineering excellence through technical leadership, knowledge-sharing, and mentorship
- Add capabilities to our high-volume, fault-tolerant processing infrastructure
- Enhance our testing, monitoring, and continuous deployment infrastructure
- Keep extremely sensitive data compartmentalized and securePerform other related duties as assigned
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Senior Software Engineer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 5 years of professional hands-on experience
- Experience implementing complex and reusable UI with animation, responsiveness and accessibility
- Experience with at least 2 modern front end frameworks, libraries, and tooling (e.g., React, Vue, etc.)
- Experience working closely with designers
- Experience building new features from scratch, using clean, organized, and scalable code
- Strong object-oriented design, API design, data modeling, and coding skills
- Solid understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Experience working using Agile/Scrum methodology in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in a high-growth environment working with deadlines and milestones
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $167,500.00 to $205,000.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.