Director, Crisis Management
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Are you passionate about crisis management? Do you have experience developing end-to-end crisis management programs and project managing critical incidents? Do you have a track record of working cross-functionally (e.g., legal, engineering, IT, operations, finance, customer service, communications, etc.) and in coordination with senior leadership? Are you ready to take your skills to the next level and join a team of innovative self-starters in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment?
As a Director, Crisis Management, you will report to the General Counsel and leverage your crisis management and project management experience to develop, implement, maintain, and execute Justworks’ end-to-end Crisis Management Program. You will help Justworks identify and prioritize potential cross-functional crises (e.g., anti-fraud, operations, and cyber-related); develop crisis-response plans and protocols; serve as the overall administrator regarding the execution of Justworks’ Crisis Management program; and provide periodic reports to leadership on the progress and effectiveness of the program. In carrying out these responsibilities, you will work collaboratively with other key functions to plan for and respond to a variety of potential business crises. In a tech-forward organization, you are eager to learn and passionate about improvement. You want to understand how our organization works, and how it can more effectively and efficiently respond to critical incidents. This is not a PR or media-focused role.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders (including, among others, customer success, legal, digital security, IT/engineering, finance, operations, marketing, including senior leadership) to help develop proactive crisis response plans (including identifying and prioritizing cross-functional crisis risk; establish crisis response protocols and KPIs; identify crisis response SMEs and “owners”; etc.) and project-manage the execution of the plans should a crisis arise
- Design and implement an enterprise-level “tabletop” simulated crisis program with collaboration and support from risk stakeholders, including, the internal audit and security teams; identify and track areas for improvement resulting from these exercises
- Lead the execution of crisis response protocols and action steps, leveraging strong project-management and communication skills
- Work to integrate Justworks’ Crisis Management program with other, related initiatives and programs (e.g., enterprise risk management, cybersecurity, business continuity/disaster recovery, anti-fraud, etc.); Produce and maintain related documentation and metrics pertaining to incident processes and procedures
- Identify opportunities to embed Justworks Crisis Management program into existing processes and to leverage technology in the execution of crisis response
- Serve as an advisor to the business on crisis and incident response and business continuity planning
- Provide executive level reports on preparedness, plans, findings, including tracking and resolving ongoing repetitive incident-related issues, root cause analysis status and other post-incident review, preventative measures being implemented, and continuous improvement
- Participate collaboratively in the development and curation of runbooks corresponding to potential significant incidents (e.g., cyber, fraud, and operations-related)
- Document, track, and apply lessons learned through the crisis response process to support continuous improvement
- Coordinate with key functions (e.g., legal, security, operations, finance, engineering, communications, etc.) to align on Justworks position vis-à-vis external stakeholders when crises arise
- Other duties as needed based on department and/or organizational needs
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Director, Crisis Management, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and will ultimately help to contribute to our success as an organization and leader in the marketplace. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Good judgment - critical thinking and the ability to analyze and assess problems and implications, identify patterns, make connections of underlying issues, understand risks and develop mitigation strategies, and take ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - take a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - put our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and advocacy.
- Influence and leadership - foster a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 10 years of professional hands-on experience with crisis or major incident management involving cross-functional efforts and third party involvement
- Public company experience a plus
- Experience with program management of critical incidents related to cybersecurity, fraud and/or operations
- Experience in a high-growth environment working with deadlines and milestones
- Strong project-management skills (project management certifications a plus)
- Knowledge of technology processes in a cloud environment
- JIRA, Excel and Google Sheets, Google Forms
- Understands and applies internal policies, standards, procedures, laws and regulations, and industry best practices with respect to incidents and crises response and business continuity
- Demonstrated ability to effectively navigate and manage changes in a fast moving growth company
- Strong analytical and communication skills (both written and verbal), including during times of crisis and under pressure
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a demonstrated history of successfully engaging with multiple levels of leadership
- Ability to be assertive, confident and lead in times of crisis, including when interacting with senior leadership
- Creative problem solver, effective negotiator, and results-oriented team player
- Must be a self-starter, self-motivated, and able to work independently with little oversight
- Must be a genuine collaborator, open to input and feedback, and willing to find compromise when necessary or appropriate
- Strong self and situational awareness
The base wage range for this position (based in our New York City office) is targeted at $198,000 - $237,600 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.