Director, Health Insurance Underwriting
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
You are a natural leader with an eye for detail. You proactively seek out answers to improve processes instead of waiting for them to come to you. You know the ins and outs of underwriting health insurance.
As Director of Health Underwriting will be responsible for managing and developing teams of underwriters and underwriting assistants who perform new business pricing across multiple markets for Medical Dental and Vision coverages with multiple carriers. This role will work cross functionally, partnering with colleagues in Sales, Operations, Customer Success, and Finance.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Manage pricing and assist in renewal strategies for Medical Dental and Vision Insurance insurance across multiple national carriers.
- Provide development and training of underwriting staff, sales teams, and other departments on the principles and practices of underwriting and rating.
- Works to achieve business goals through articulation and application of strategy, initiatives, and underwriting policy.
- Anticipate and recognize matters that can materially affect financial results and drive sound, unbiased actions on these matters.
- Works to balance membership growth and profitability targets for specific groups, industries, and/or markets. Collaborates with other constituents on product and pricing strategies.
- Assists team members in handling difficult and/or complex sales/renewal situations.
- Builds strong cross-functional relationships with internal organizations and sales/account management.
- Develop new ways for getting work done for continuous improvement utilizing internal/external resources.
- Demonstrated success in communicating effectively with internal and external partners.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Director of Health Underwriting, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Detail-oriented - exercises extreme attention to detail; is thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seeks to understand both the cause and effect of a situation.
- Ethical practice - the ability to integrate core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Clear communication - the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
- Analytical - uses a logical reasoning process to break down and work through a situation or problem to arrive at an outcome.
- Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- 10+ years of financial underwriting experience with extensive insurance industry knowledge.
- Minimum of 5 years managerial experience in leading teams, individual contributors and larger teams is required.
- Solid knowledge of other benefit programs (life, dental, medical, etc.) and pricing of related benefits is a plus.
- Experience working with PEOs is preferred but not required
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $198,000.00 to $237,600.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?