Data Engineering Manager, Payroll and Tax
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Our Tax Technology team is hiring a Data Engineering Manager to help model the complex world of taxation in software that is fast, accurate, and scalable. Payroll is an essential function of any business and the demands of accurately calculating and reporting taxes is a lot to take on. We simplify payroll tax compliance so that our customers can focus on what they do best.
As Data Engineering Manager, you’ll be leading a ground up effort to build data pipelines for wage and tax data that will enable us to build the next generation of Justworks products and services. You will lead technical decision making on a mission critical team and be expected to take initiative identifying projects that will enable us to meet business goals. We’re looking for people that have a passion for solving real-world problems and will thrive building a growing team.
What You Will Work On
- Lead the development process and delivery of data pipelines that power tax computation, withholding, and reporting for Justworks customers
- Collaborate with the the team to design and implement the foundational data infrastructure, taking an active, hands-on role in coding and guiding the team as we scale
- Partner with Product to define and execute the team’s long-term strategy and quarterly roadmap, including setting goals and measuring progress/success towards them
- Mentor engineers to help them grow their technical skills by fostering a culture of technical excellence, innovation and continuous learning
- Define and implement engineering best practices and processes to improve team efficiency and productivity
- Conduct code reviews, identify and resolve technical issues and ensure code quality and scalability
- Communicate and coordinate with other teams (in and outside of engineering) to understand the requirements and opportunities for improvement
- Attract, hire, and retain an amazing team of high-caliber data engineers
- Develop deep subject matter expertise in payroll taxation so that our data stakeholders don’t have to
- Help drive sound technical decision-making and lead technical conversations with other teams across Justworks
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- 8+ years of experience in a Data Engineering role, with a focus on building data pipelines and models.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience managing or leading a team of engineers that have shipped mission critical software
- Recognized by your peers as a SQL wizard, you can analyze query plans to optimize queries that use complex joins and window functions
- Strong foundational knowledge in and experience with relational databases, data warehouses, data modeling, and ETL pipelines
- Expertise in programming languages commonly used in the data engineering community such as Python or Scala, and their respective data processing and analytics packages
- Strong knowledge of batch and streaming systems, workflow orchestration, monitoring and testing using systems such as Airflow, Spark Streaming, and Kafka.
- Strong experience with governing data security and compliance
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done and setting appropriate deadlines and milestones to advance business objectives
- Ability to strike the right balance between competing product and engineering priorities to ensure the team delivers the right value to our customers
- Thrives in a collaborative environment where the best ideas win and can lead the the team to get behind them to achieve the desired outcome
- Fosters an engineering culture that distills simple solutions out of complicated problems and good judgment to select the right tools for the job
- Track record of recruiting and retaining world-class engineers necessary to build high performance engineering teams preferred
- AWS Redshift
- Apache Airflow
- PostgreSQL / MySQL
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $205,000.00 to $220,000.00 per year.
#LI-AD1 #LI-Hybrid #LI-JS1
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?