Tax Compliance - Associate
iCapital is powering the world’s alternative investment marketplace. Our financial technology platform has transformed how advisors, wealth management firms, asset managers, and banks evaluate and recommend bespoke public and private market strategies for their high-net-worth clients. iCapital services approximately $169 billion in global client assets invested in 1,362 funds, as of September 2023.
iCapital has been named to the Forbes Fintech 50 for six consecutive years (2018 – 2023); a three-time selection by Forbes to its list of Best Startup Employers (2021-2023); and a three-time winner of MMI/Barron’s Solutions Provider award (See link below).
About the Role
iCapital’s rapid expansion in the Canada marketplace creates an opportunity for an experienced and talented tax professional to support the strategy in a newly created role within the Fund Finance Tax Services team. This role will service hedge fund and private equity fund of funds and access fund vehicles (the “funds”) in conjunction with third-party administrators and tax preparers to ensure timely tax reporting and communication, as well as drive continuous improvement throughout the processes.
- Track new Canada fund launches, and the scope of compliance work required.
- Collaborate with Fund Finance on accruals and payments for tax compliance for our Canada funds.
- Oversee the collection, validation, and maintenance of fund and investor IRS W8 forms to offer tax treaty rates to investors in some Canada funds, when required.
- Work with our internal stakeholders on underlying sub doc questions, investors queries, and validity of investors documents for our Canada funds.
- Coordinate and oversee third-party tax preparers and administrators on Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) and province filings for all the Canada funds (including, HST/GST, T5013, and T3s).
- Oversee annual HST/GST compliance process and investor outreach.
- Reconcile and review investor demographics and tax documentation to support accurate tax treatment and resolve data discrepancies.
- Draft and monitor various internal and external calendars for different stakeholders such as investor relations, sales teams, and client relationship managers, and adhere to client service expectations.
- Manage the collection and distribution of tax information from underlying funds for our funds.
- Review taxable income calculations and allocations along with T5013, T3, NR4, T5 forms, and other related Canada tax slips.
- Coordinate wire payments and/or check requests for the Canadian funds.
- Respond to federal and province tax notices, audits, and inquiries for the funds.
- Document and maintain procedures, workflows, metrics, and tax service level agreements.
- Manage US FATCA, 1099, 1042-s and Common Reporting Standard reporting.
- Assist in mailing of any tax return filings required to file with the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Work with external tax firms on obtaining Trust Account Numbers and GIIN registrations for newly launched Canada Mutual Fund Trust.
- 5+ years of experience in Canada Tax
- A completed account designation LLB or master’s degree is a plus
- Experience with managing client expectations and communications, as well as solution development
- Understanding of investment partnership taxation and mutual fund trusts taxation
- Intermediate Excel skills
- Comfortable learning new systems and technology
- Proven ability to multi-task and work both independently and as a team player in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Willingness to learn new topics and work in an evolving business environment
- Organized, initiative-taking, detail-oriented, and able to see the big picture
iCapital offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a competitive total compensation program consisting of salary, equity for all full-time employees, annual performance bonus; 100% employer paid Group Benefits (including medical, dental, vison, prescription, insurance, virtual telemedicine and mental health counseling, and an employee assistance program) for employees and their dependents, unlimited paid time off (PTO), parental leave, and a corporate gym membership.
iCapital offers most employees the flexibility to work in the office three to four days and remotely for the remainder of the week. Every department has different needs, and some positions will be designated in-office jobs, based on their function.
For additional information on iCapital, please visit https://www.icapitalnetwork.com/about-us Twitter: @icapitalnetwork | LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/icapital-network-inc Awards Disclaimer: https://www.icapitalnetwork.com/about-us/recognition/
iCapital is proud to support a fair and inclusive workplace, in which all applicants have an opportunity to fulfill their potential and every person has the right to equal treatment with respect to employment without discrimination. iCapital does not tolerate any discrimination contrary to the Ontario Human Rights Code, including on the grounds of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status or disability.