Tax, Canada - Vice President
iCapital is powering the world’s alternative investment marketplace. Our financial technology platform has transformed how advisors, wealth management firms, asset managers, and banks evaluate and recommend bespoke public and private market strategies for their high-net-worth clients. iCapital services approximately $152 billion in global client assets invested in 1,210 funds, as of December 2022.
iCapital has been named to the Forbes Fintech 50 for five consecutive years (2018 – 2022); a back-to-back selection by Forbes to its list of Best Startup Employers; and a two-time winner of MMI/Barron’s Solutions Provider award (See link below).
About the Role
iCapital’s rapid expansion in the Canada marketplace creates an opportunity for an experienced and talented tax professional to support its Canada expansion strategy. This is a newly created role within the Fund Finance Tax Services group to support expansion opportunities outside of the U.S. This role will service hedge fund and private equity fund of funds and access fund vehicles (the “funds”) in conjunction with third-party administrators and tax preparers to ensure timely tax reporting and communication, as well as drive continuous improvement throughout the processes.
- Partner with Canada Product development and Sales colleagues to identify tax-related reporting needs and compliance requirements associated with different structures in Canada and build scalable processes to support them.
- Coordinate and oversee third-party tax preparers and administrators on Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) and province filings for all the Canada funds (including, HST/GST, T5013, and T3s).
- Oversee annual HST/GST compliance process and investor outreach.
- Assist in Canada fund launch activities, including structuring, tax due diligence and compliance support model setup.
- Reconcile and review investor demographics and tax documentation to support accurate tax treatment and resolve data discrepancies.
- Monitor various internal and external calendars for different stakeholders such as investor relations, sales teams, and client relationship managers, and adhere to client service expectations.
- Manage the collection and distribution of tax information from underlying funds for all the Canada funds.
- Review taxable income calculation and allocations along with the following forms: T5013, T3, NR4, T5, and other related Canada tax slips.
- Coordinate wire payments and/or check requests for the Canadian funds.
- Participate in industry regulatory and tax forums (i.e., of PMAC (RIA Association) and CAASA (Canadian Alts Association and SIFMA in the US).
- Respond to federal and province tax notices, audits, and inquiries for the funds.
- Document and maintain procedures, workflows, metrics, and tax service level agreements.
- Manage Canada tax changes and educate internal stakeholders on Canadian tax matters.
- Manage US FATCA and the Common Reporting Standard process with external providers.
- Minimum 5-10 years of experience in Canada Tax at a Senior Manager level
- A completed account designation LLB., J.D., or master’s degree would be an asset
- Experience with project problem diagnosis, solution development, client communications, facilitation of decision-making, documentation, management of client expectations and team leadership
- Understanding of investment partnership taxation and mutual fund trusts taxation
- Intermediate Excel skills
- Comfortable learning new systems and technology
- Proven ability to multi-task and work both independently and as a team player in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Willingness to learn new topics and work in an evolving business environment
- Organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to see the big picture
- Passionate about being a part of our iCapital team and representing our company with integrity, dignity, and pride
iCapital offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a competitive total compensation program consisting of salary, equity for all full-time employees, annual performance bonus; 100% employer paid Group Benefits (including medical, dental, vison, prescription, insurance, virtual telemedicine and mental health counseling, and an employee assistance program) for employees and their dependents, unlimited paid time off (PTO), parental leave, and a corporate gym membership.
iCapital offers most employees the flexibility to work in the office three to four days and remotely for the remainder of the week. Every department has different needs, and some positions will be designated in-office jobs, based on their function.
For additional information on iCapital, please visit https://www.icapitalnetwork.com/about-us Twitter: @icapitalnetwork | LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/icapital-network-inc Awards Disclaimer: https://www.icapitalnetwork.com/about-us/recognition/
iCapital is proud to support a fair and inclusive workplace, in which all applicants have an opportunity to fulfill their potential and every person has the right to equal treatment with respect to employment without discrimination. iCapital does not tolerate any discrimination contrary to the Ontario Human Rights Code, including on the grounds of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship,
Something looks off?