Software Engineer (Full-Stack), Experiences
Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future. Too often it’s because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
We’re a high-growth tech company changing the retirement industry. We’ve raised $500M and are backed by leading investors. Most recently, by funding from BlackRock as well as many other top investors: TPG (The Rise Fund) with SoftBank led our Series D, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
As an engineering organization, we seek to redefine the retirement services space with software that drives toward an effortless, efficient, scalable, and highly reliable cloud based experience.
- Value continuous improvement - we care about documentation, security, durability, not just throwing features over the wall.
- Help each other be better engineers - we leave things better than we found it.
- Aspire to collaborate seamlessly - we ensure our software is improving the customer experience.
As a member of the Experiences engineering team, you will get to help us build world-class customer experiences. You will collaborate with domain experts to design, build, test, and own systems and processes for servicing 401(k) plans and making our customers happy. As reliability is key to earning our customers’ trust, you will build robust systems that are observable, maintainable, and scalable.
What you get to do every day
- Design, build, and maintain our user experiences for both external and internal customers
- Work on business-critical, foundational services which serve as the backbone of our entire platform
- Improve complex processes and systems to make them more robust and require less human intervention
- Collaborate with other engineers and stakeholders to share knowledge and build expertise
- Develop ownership over domains in our system and make informed engineering tradeoffs
- Advocate for and delight internal and external users
- Write clean, high-quality code and tests to keep our system fast, reliable, and monitorable
- Build integrations with other systems across the Engineering org
- Participate in development life cycle activities like design, coding, testing and production releases
- Contribute to our evolving engineering standards, tooling, and processes
What you bring to the role
- 4+ years of experience building and maintaining software in production
- Desire to work with the following technologies: Node, TypeScript, React, AWS and PostgreSQL
- Top notch communication skills. You can communicate well with engineers and non-engineers alike
- Strong desire to learn, think creatively, and share knowledge with others
- Proactive and empathetic mindset - you love to roll up your sleeves to fix problems for our customers
- Past experience working in startups and/or fintech
Nice to have
- Experience using and developing component libraries/design systems
- Familiarity with React Hooks
- Prior knowledge of GraphQL
- Past experience working with cloud technologies such as AWS or Microsoft Azure
- 401k or finance tech background
- Self-driven and willing to learn
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Culture - Our operating principles define how we come together as a team to do our work. They reflect Human Interest’s unique view on what’s important and what’s right. Documenting this core aspect of our culture helps employees make good decisions on their own. It also helps candidates considering career opportunities critically evaluate whether they will thrive at Human Interest.
- Customer obsession
- Long-term orientation
- Autonomous and accountable teams
- An escalating bar for talent and performance
- Fundamental optimism
Compensation - At Human Interest, there are a number of factors that are used to determine the appropriate pay range for each position. We take into account the cost of labor for each position in various markets across the US. The base salary for this position spans from a minimum of $125,000 in our lowest geographic region to a maximum of $175,000 in our highest geographic region. The salary that we offer to a new employee within this range is based on their location within the US, their relevant job-related skills, and experience. At Human Interest, base salary is one component of the overall Total Rewards package. Depending on the position, additional compensation components such as bonus, commission, and equity may be offered. All of our employees are offered a robust suite of physical, financial and mental wellness benefits.
- A great 401(k) plan: Our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation (immediately vested) and $0 plan fees
- Top-of-the-line health plans, as well as dental and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies
- Lyra - Enhanced Mental Health Support for Employees and dependents
- Carrot - Fertility healthcare and family forming benefits
- Candidly - Student loan resource to help you and your family plan, borrow, and repay student debt
- Monthly work-from-home stipend; annual wellness stipend
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company offsites
- The vast majority of our positions can be 100% remote
We’re a great place to work (but don’t take our word for it)
Here’s a list of our awards and accolades:
- Certified as a Great Place To Work® (2023)
- Best Places to Work by Built In (2023)
- A Top Company by Y Combinator (2020-2023)
- America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes (2020-2022)
- Inc. Fastest Growing Companies (2021)
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures