Property Claims Desk Adjuster
Role: Property Claims Desk Adjuster (Weather/Water)
Location: Dallas Fort Worth, TX/Irving, TX
Our mission is to deliver intuitive and proactive protection for homeowners, combining the power of technology with a human touch.
Hippo built the world’s first home protection platform. We believe that insurance should protect your home and the things you treasure with policies designed for modern lives and proactive protection that helps you care for your home. Our aim is to help you avoid issues before they become costly problems because the best claims experience is the one you don’t have. Simply put, Hippo exists to protect the joy of homeownership.
About This Role:
We’re seeking an experienced Property Adjuster to handle homeowner claims involving multiple states. You’ll be able to use your expert discernment in handling each case, but you’ll also have a team to rely on to help come up with innovative solutions. Hippo is proud to leverage technology to be able to process claims expeditiously, which means little to no travel is required. Day to day, this Property Adjuster will work with customers over the phone to provide excellent customer service and coordinate the inspection process as well as payments for losses.
- Empathetic, dedicated to understanding the needs of our customers
- Critical Thinker, can recognize irregularities and prevent fraud
- Enthusiastic about working for a company focused on disrupting the norm
- Team player who enjoys helping and developing others
- Overachiever who is driven to exceed expectations
What You’ll Do:
- Makes prompt contact with customers to set expectations, develop an action plan, and perform an initial exposure assessment
- Interview insureds and review factual information to prepare damage estimates
- Evaluate and make recommendations regarding coverage of claims, determine liability for claims, and negotiate settlements within designated limits.
- Explains coverage to policyholders providing excellent customer service
- Assign vendors for fieldwork
- Maintains electronic records that accurately and thoroughly document all file-handling activity
- Determines and negotiates settlement amounts for damages claimed within assigned authority limits, escalating to management if need be or issuing payments accordingly
- Ensures regular and timely follow-up and brings claims to prompt and appropriate conclusions while keeping the customer informed throughout the life cycle of the claim process
- Minimum 2 years of experience in desk adjusting in different perils including (but not limited to) weather and water claims
- Current and active Resident Adjuster's license required
- Experience with Xactimate software is highly preferred
- Strong understanding of claims processes and policy language
- Property background is strongly preferred
- Self-motivated and directed; the ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous and expected to succeed without direction
- Flexible and willing to do what is needed to get great work done
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced and dynamic
- Superb phone skills and quality customer experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Benefits and Perks:
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits - 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401(k), long & short-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Training and Career Growth - Paid training opportunities and countless internal career growth opportunities
- Award-Winning Culture - Recognized by BuiltIn and Inc. Magazine as a top place to work - we value integrity, inclusiveness, empathy, and being proactive and dedicated
- Flexible Time Off - You know when and how you should recharge
- Little Hippos Program - We offer 12 weeks of parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.