Senior Backend Engineer
Title: Senior Backend Engineer
Location: Austin, TX
Reporting to: Senior Engineering Manager
Hippo is a high-growth technology-first company that is challenging the insurance industry. Our approach is to modernize home insurance offerings thanks to our own insurance software, from incorporating smart home monitoring to offering a one-of-a-kind online experience that drastically simplifies the application process. Led by a strong team of passionate business and technology veterans, we're rapidly expanding by inviting great engineers to join our talented team.
Hippo is solving complex engineering, data, regulatory and operational problems that have immediate impact on this antiquated industry. We're on a strong growth trajectory, extending a suite of products with a strong product-market fit, as well as building MVPs of new offerings.
We're looking for a talented senior backend engineer to help us grow the product line and expand across the United States. An ideal candidate brings leadership, maturity and a deep understanding of the software development life cycle.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with a small, cross functional team on products and features to support and drive growth
- Build user friendly, highly scalable and fault tolerant solutions across our industry disrupting product portfolio
- Elevate our technology and best practices through partnership with the Head of Engineering and other tech leaders
- Join stakeholder groups to guide engineering wide initiatives (security, devops, infrastructure, agile, hiring, etc)
- Mentor and lead other engineers
- 7+ years professional experience as a backend developer on web services and systems
- Proficiency with database systems (such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB)
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical field
Benefits and Perks
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits - 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401(k), long & short-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, flexible spending accounts
- for health and dependent care, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Training and Career Growth - Paid training opportunities and countless internal career growth opportunities
- Award-Winning Culture - Recognized by BuiltIn and Inc. Magazine as a top place to work - we value integrity, inclusiveness, empathy, and being proactive and dedicated
- Flexible Time Off - You know when and how you should recharge
- Little Hippos Program - We offer 12 weeks of parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Habitat - Downtown Palo Alto location, 5-minutes from the Caltrain station. Fully stocked kitchen, and BBQ Fridays!
The base pay range for this role is $139,600 - $209,400. The SF Bay Area base pay range for this role is $162,400 - $243,600. Exact compensation may vary based on several job-related factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to: skill set, experience, education/training, location, business needs and market demands.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.
Something looks off?