Title: Commercial Counsel
Location: Austin, TX / Dallas, TX / Bedminster, NJ
Reporting to: Corporate Counsel
Our mission is to deliver intuitive and proactive protection for homeowners, combining the power of technology with a human touch.
Hippo built the world’s first home protection platform. We believe that insurance should protect your home and the things you treasure with policies designed for modern lives and proactive protection that helps you care for your home. Our aim is to help you avoid issues before they become costly problems because the best claims experience is the one you don’t have. Simply put, Hippo exists to protect the joy of homeownership.
We are looking for an in-house counsel to handle complex corporate legal matters and compliance projects. Your experience should include drafting, evaluating, and reviewing commercial agreements, with an emphasis on technology and insurance contracts, to minimize risk, applying consistent legal terms and productions. You should have direct experience dealing with complex, significant matters that cut across legal and related areas.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and scale efficient contract workflow, including coordination of relevant internal stakeholders and external providers
- Establish standard templates and negotiation matrices to support Hippo’s growing commercial contracting needs
- Negotiate a wide variety of complex commercial contracts, including technology and insurance-related contracts
- Work closely with our technology teams to provide counseling, education, and guidance on legal compliance, with a focus on data privacy issues
- Assist in implementing processes to scale Hippo’s intellectual property program and supervise outside counsel on maintaining and growing Hippo’s IP portfolio
- Serve as legal support to key stakeholders
- Research, identify, and mitigate legal risks across the organization
- Act as the subject matter expert on one or more key legal compliance matters
- Meet legal objectives
- Work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining multiple projects and responsibilities
- 6-8 years of comparable law firm experience or combination of law firm and in-house experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Insurance experience is required with personal lines preferred
- Excellent negotiation and communications skills
- Analytical ability
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, but knowing when to collaborate
- J.D. and current license to practice law
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”
- Self-motivation and direction; ability to collaborate is a must
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to learn how to help others solve problems
- Flexibility and willingness to do what is needed to get great work done
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced and dynamic
- Experience negotiating insurance-related commercial contracts a plus
Benefits and Perks:
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits - 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401(k), long & short-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Training and Career Growth - Paid training opportunities and countless internal career growth opportunities
- Award-Winning Culture - Recognized by BuiltIn and Inc. Magazine as a top place to work - we value integrity, inclusiveness, empathy, and being proactive and dedicated
- Flexible Time Off - You know when and how you should recharge
- Little Hippos Program - We offer 12 weeks of parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.
Something looks off?