Sr. Litigation Adjuster
Role: Senior Litigation Adjuster
Reports To: Senior Manager, Claims Counsel
Our mission is to deliver intuitive and proactive protection for homeowners, combining the power of technology with a human touch.
Hippo built the world’s first home protection platform. We believe that insurance should protect your home and the things you treasure with policies designed for modern lives and proactive protection that helps you care for your home. Our aim is to help you avoid issues before they become costly problems because the best claims experience is the one you don’t have. Simply put, Hippo exists to protect the joy of homeownership.
About This Role:
We’re seeking an experienced multi-disciplinary Senior Litigation Adjuster with an emphasis on all aspects of Personal Lines Property coverage including liability investigation and pre-lit and litigation experience to handle all types of claims from Homeowners policies in multiple states. You’ll be able to use your expert discernment in handling each case, but you’ll also have a team to rely on in order to help come up with innovative solutions. Hippo is proud to leverage technology to be able to process claims expeditiously, which means little to no travel is required. Day to day, this Litigation Adjuster will work with customers, vendors, and outside counsel over the phone to provide excellent customer service and responsible claims handling.
- At least 5 year experience handling homeowner liability investigation and litigation, both first and third party, with additional experience handling litigation.
- Critical Thinker, demonstratable ability to recognize irregularities and prevent fraud.
- Superior communicator, both written and verbal.
- Enthusiastic about working for a company focused on disrupting the norm.
- Team player who enjoys helping and developing others.
- Overachiever who is driven to exceed expectations.
- Empathetic, dedicated to understanding the needs of our customers.
What You’ll Do:
- All aspects of property and liability losses related to Personal Lines Homeowners with emphasis on litigated files.
- Makes prompt contact with customers to set expectations, develop an action plan, and perform an initial exposure assessment.
- Investigates all types of claims.
- Evaluate coverage based on facts of loss and language in policy as well as applicable state law.
- Review and develop plan of action on transferred files to achieve desired goals.
- Determines policy coverage through analyzing investigation data and policy terms.
- Explains coverage to policyholders providing excellent customer service.
- Assign vendors for field work.
- Maintains electronic records that accurately and thoroughly document all file handling activity.
- Determines and negotiates settlement amounts for damages claimed within assigned authority limits, escalating to management if need be or issuing payments accordingly.
- Ensures regular and timely follow-up and brings claims to prompt and appropriate conclusion while keeping the customer informed throughout the life cycle of the claim process.
- Minimum 5 years experience handling homeowner’s insurance claims, both 1st and 3rd party required.
- 2 years minimum of handling litigated 1st and 3rd party claims required.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, risk management or related field required.
- Experience working directly with Property Adjusters and attorneys is required.
- Associate in Claims (AIC) or Senior Claims Law Associate (SCLA) or other claims-related designation preferred.
- Thorough understanding DOI regulations and compliant process.
- Texas adjusters license required, with ability to become licensed in any state that requires license.
- Strong understanding of claims processes, investigation, and policy language.
- Strong understanding of good faith and fair dealing and apply its principals in file analysis.
- Strong analytical skills for coverage evaluation and knowledge of property and casualty insurance policies.
- Self-motivated and directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous and expected to succeed without heavy direction.
- Flexible and willing to do what is needed to get great work done.
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced and dynamic.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent time management, attention to detail and record keeping required.
- Must be able to function in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of efficiency, accuracy and the ability to prioritize tasks and requests.
- Special Investigations Unit or Fraud exposure a plus.
Benefits and Perks:
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits - 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401(k), long & short-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Training and Career Growth - Paid training opportunities and countless internal career growth opportunities.
- Award-Winning Culture - Recognized by BuiltIn and Inc. Magazine as a top place to work - we value integrity, inclusiveness, empathy, and being proactive and dedicated.
- Flexible Time Off - You know when and how you should recharge.
- Little Hippos Program - We offer 12 weeks of parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.