Senior Frontend Engineer, Insurance Buying Experiences
Hippo is a high-growth technology-first company that is challenging the insurance industry. Our approach is to offer unique, modern home protection offerings thanks to our own insurance software, incorporating smart home monitoring and proactive protection services, and offering a one-of-a-kind online experience. Led by a strong team of passionate business and technology veterans, we're looking for great engineers to join our talented team.
About the Team
The Insurance Buying Experiences team works to create an engaging and consumer friendly online experience that allows Hippo’s customers to buy the right insurance protection for their home with confidence.
As a Senior Frontend Engineer for this integral team, you’ll be responsible for collaboratively designing, developing, and supporting the Hippo.com buying experience. This buying experience is the face of Hippo and our primary differentiator within the insurance industry. In addition, you’ll work hand in hand with your fellow software engineers, product managers, and business leaders to identify the right solutions as we explore brand new ways to meet our customers’ needs. You should care deeply for both technical excellence and customer experiences, in your own work and as you mentor less experienced engineers.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with a small, cross functional team on Hippo’s online buying experiences to directly drive growth and agency profitability
- Design and build user friendly, highly scalable web applications that sit at the intersection of business and customer needs
- Elevate our technology and incorporate best practices in collaboration with other senior engineering leadership
- Participate in engineering-wide initiatives (security, devops, infrastructure, agile, hiring, etc.)
- Mentor and lead the other engineers on the Insurance Buying Experiences team, assisting in their growth
- 5+ years professional experience as a frontend developer
- 2+ years working on consumer facing products
- 2+ years of in-depth experience with React
- Experience designing and running customer facing A/B tests as you evolve user experiences
- The ability to be flexible and nimble with a passion for outcomes over correctness
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent technical experience
- Fintech/insurtech experience is a plus
A note — we highly encourage you to apply for this role, even if you don’t feel entirely qualified, or entirely confident. We value all kinds of backgrounds, and yours is unique!
Our Tech Stack
- TypeScript, NodeJS, and a custom microservice framework built on NestJS
- React, iOS + Swift, Android + Kotlin
- AWS, K8s, PostgreSQL, SNS/SQS
- Best in class Developer Experience and tooling
Benefits and Perks
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits - 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401(k), long & short-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Training and Career Growth - Paid training opportunities and countless internal career growth opportunities
- Award-Winning Culture - Recognized by BuiltIn and Inc. Magazine as a top place to work - we value integrity, inclusiveness, empathy, and being proactive and dedicated
- Flexible Time Off - You know when and how you should recharge
- Little Hippos Program - We offer 12 weeks of parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Habitat - Downtown Palo Alto location, 5-minutes from the Caltrain station; and Uptown Oakland location right by BART. Fully stocked kitchen, and regular in-person gatherings!
The base pay range for this role is $139,600 - $209,400. The SF Bay Area base pay range for this role is $162,400 - $243,600. Exact compensation may vary based on several job-related factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to: skill set, experience, education/training, location, business needs and market demands.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.
Something looks off?