Technical Solutions, Embedded Payroll
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Gusto Embedded is the newest standalone business unit at Gusto and our first product is Embedded Payroll. Our vision is to enable any third party developer to build the best payroll product for their end customers. Gusto Embedded Payroll will power our strategic partners' payroll offering through APIs, unlocking market share and ushering in the future of the people platform. You can read more about why our Founders are so excited for and committed to Gusto Embedded Payroll in this recent blog post by Co-Founder and Chief Product Officer, Tomer London.
As part of the Technical Solutions team, you will be responsible for end-to-end technical success of a Partner building embedded payroll. You will work closely with our internal Engineering, Product, and Business teams to support our partners throughout their lifecycle.
Gusto Embedded Payroll is the newest major offering from Gusto and we operate like a startup—candidates who prefer a rapid pace of change and a nascent, fast moving market landscape will feel at home.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Sell the value of our embedded payroll product and advise our Embedded Payroll partners’ product teams on how to use Gusto’s APIs and the best ways to build out their payroll product(s).
- Inspire our partners. Gusto’s API products are building blocks. Help them design it, then teach them how to build it! Demo our solutions through pre-built apps, flows or purely the api through tools like Postman.
- Work closely with your Account Executives to review partner requirements and ensure Gusto Payroll API’s are positioned in the best light to support Partner needs.
- Lead the post-sale technical success of our partners and collaborate closely with your business counterpart, the Partner Success Manager. Oversee the planning, tracking, and completion of product developments with partners, including managing the overall delivery plan and resourcing needs.
- Identify and triage key development risks and work with the Partner and internal teams to mitigate and resolve them.
- You will be the first contact for any technical issues or questions related to the Embedded APIs and building/maintaining the payroll product. This includes leading the quality review of completed features to ensure they are customer ready.
- Be an advocate for our partners! Work closely with our EPD teams to provide feedback on our partner’s product / API needs and collaborate on fixing bugs and designing future features.
- Build the tool(s) and systems to scale the Technical Solutions function. This is a relatively new team and you will have direct responsibility in building the foundation for the team and driving its success.
- You will work closely with internal Sales, Partner Success, Enablement, and Customer Support teams. This is a highly collaborative role expected to drive our partner’s product development as one work-stream of few to support our partners in building a successful, sustainable payroll business.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 6-8 years of experience, with 4+ years in a client-facing role (sales, technical architecture, customer success, or consulting role).
- Scrappy, entrepreneurial, builder mindset - you will be part of a newer team that is growing and iterating quickly. You will be doing everything from pitching Embedded Payroll platform capabilities to overseeing the product development of signed partners, establishing new processes, rolling out new tooling or resources, and supporting technical questions/issues.
- Problem solver with strong product sense who has experience resolving complex issues. Able to prioritize customer needs, dig into pain points, problem solve with customers, and clearly communicate product needs to product and engineering teams.
- Structured thinker with strong communication skills and comfortable talking with all levels of customer teams from individual contributors to C-level executives using language that appropriately translates complex technical and business information.
- Technical program, or project management, experience including stakeholder, resource, and timeline management accountability.
- A team player who thrives on cross-functional collaboration to understand gaps and working together to improve systems and processes.
- A desire to learn all about the intricacies of payroll and Gusto’s APIs.
Nice to haves:
- Technically adept in APIs. You’re able to understand and explain how APIs can be used to simplify complex domain problems for other developers.
- Proven success in overseeing all elements of the product development lifecycle and/or demonstrated track record of designing and implementing complex solutions for enterprise-level customers
- You've been a first or early hire at a fast-growing startup before.
- Knowledge of payroll software and/or Vertical SaaS.
Our cash compensation range for this role is $99,000/yr - $153,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $121,000/yr - $186,000/yr in San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate location, experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Something looks off?