Product Infrastructure - Frontend Infrastructure Hybrid Manager
We are looking for an Engineering Leader and Manager for the Frontend Infrastructure team, responsible for the GraphQL infrastructure and customer-facing WebApp. These teams design, develop, test, and maintain the various systems and tools that are part of delivering a high-quality API and web application development experience to engineers at Gusto.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Gusto is looking for passionate leaders across our Engineering team to help us grow and scale our People Platform for small businesses. As an Engineering Leader, you’ll lead and grow a team of engineers and work closely with infrastructure and platform leadership to own and drive the team’s vision, strategy and execute on the team’s roadmap.
Gusto’s technical infrastructure teams ensure that our Product Engineering teams can focus on building impactful software that quickly meets our customers' needs now, and creating a clear path for them in the future. As part of the product infrastructure team, frontend infrastructure comprises two closely related teams: WebApp architecture and GraphQL infrastructure. The GraphQL infrastructure team works at the intersection of our large systems: Rails Backend and React Frontend as well as mobile apps. We have been using GraphQL for a number of years to better isolate changes across our API boundaries and to improve the balance between functionality and performance. The web application architecture team maintains and improves Gusto’s front-end architecture for our main, customer facing web application. In this role, you will eventually lead both of these teams and manage the engineers on those teams. If this sounds like you or if this is of interest to you then join us!
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lead and grow a team of engineering talent and diversify it over time
- This role is hands-on, code-writing leadership role that will contribute to their team via direct work on our applications as well as supporting work on impact-analysis and long-term strategy; the balance of this with team management responsibilities will change as the team continues to grow
- Build and foster an inclusive, collaborative, and high-performance culture
- Collaborate with our other technical infrastructure engineering teams, product development teams and also data science, operations, product management and design teams to lead and own developing end to end product experiences for complex customer needs from initial planning, execution, to final delivery
- Work closely with Leadership to help set priorities for both short term and long term roadmaps and to create accountability for progress on ongoing work
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 5+ years of engineering people leadership experience
- 12+ years of hands-on programming experience
- Experience with working on Typescript/React applications and GraphQL
- Experience in empowering and nurturing technical teams of 4-10 engineers
- Experience in managing and resolving complex product development issues
- Experience in leading large scope technical projects and driving engineering excellence
- Self-driven mindset, and the ability to work in the in-between space of leading and supporting people and driving direct, hands-on impact
- Passionate about creating memorable experiences for customers
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $ 191,000 to $248,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $224,000 to $290,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Something looks off?