Application Security Engineer
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Application Security
As a member of the Application Security (AppSec) team, you will share in the responsibility of protecting the company and our customers against application security threats. The AppSec team is focused on the advancement of modern application security practices and supports the engineering organization by finding, fixing, and preventing software security vulnerabilities.
The Role: Application Security Engineer
As an Application Security Engineer on the Application Security team’s Product Security group, you will work closely with engineering and product teams to provide security recommendations and identify security issues throughout the software development lifecycle. This includes secure design reviews, threat modeling, secure code review, and penetration testing among other activities.
- Support the Gemini Secure Software Development Lifecycle as an application security subject matter expert through design review, threat modeling, code review, and penetration testing
- Collaborate and advise engineering teams on application security best practices and vulnerability remediation
- Perform deep-dive security reviews to ensure all Gemini products and services follow secure design principles across our product portfolio (web, mobile, and APIs)
- Develop tools and research to scale the Product Security team
- Assist with creating and delivering hands-on software security training to engineering teams to increase security awareness
- Participate in the Application Security on-call rotation to support engineering teams during incidents
- Keep up-to-date with latest security trends and vulnerabilities
- 3+ years of experience in application security or similar roles
- Ability to perform design reviews, threat modeling, secure code reviews, or penetration testing with an attacker mindset
- Some background in application security best practices and familiarity with common vulnerabilities (e.g. SSRF, race conditions, privilege escalations, etc.)
- Strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate on a cross-functional team
- Familiarity with and ability to understand business objectives, business context, and security risk
- Manual source code review
- Penetration testing
- Design and implementation review
- Threat modeling
- Design and implementation consultation
- Continuous assurance activities
- Risk identification and categorization / management
- Engineering education and engagement
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $120,000 - $168,000 in New York City, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.
Something looks off?